Sick Orange Shoulder Tang!!

colemann97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered this orange shoulder tang from liveaquaria about a month ago. (could be part of the problem since I believe their shipping process has gotten worse within the past year as I’ve received more and more sick/dead fish with every order). Anyway, after about two weeks, he developed, what I would described as, brown splotches. One on the upper portion of his body/top fin and one on the right side of his belly. Since noticing these spots, and being unable to catch him from my DT, I decided to focus on feeding more seaweed (Ocean Nutrition seaweed select: red marine algae) and pray that he got better as I wasn’t exactly sure what the issue was. Fast forward to today, he is swimming erratically (very twitchy movements), flashing every few minutes, taking breaks on his side within the rock work, and appears to be pestering the other fish.

Tank mates include:
1-valentini puffer
1-diamond watchman goby
2-oscillarus clowns
3-blue/green chromis
1-firefish

Tank size is 135 gallons with canister filter (no UV light within filter, only UV aquarium lights). I feed the tank frozen mysis shrimp X2 daily, pellets X1 daily, and a half sheet of seaweed daily for the single tang.

I test water parameters weekly and, ever since cycling the tank, they’ve been within normal range across the board without any issues. I’ve had the tank established since April.

Has anyone experienced this before with their tang? If so, what kind of treatment should I do? What is it? I may have given up hope for this guy as I can tell he is severely sick at this point, but if yall think there’s still time to treat him, I obviously will. However, this will mostly be for future reference as this will not be the last tang I stock. TIA

IMG_2849.jpeg IMG_2850.jpeg IMG_2851.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I ordered this orange shoulder tang from liveaquaria about a month ago. (could be part of the problem since I believe their shipping process has gotten worse within the past year as I’ve received more and more sick/dead fish with every order). Anyway, after about two weeks, he developed, what I would described as, brown splotches. One on the upper portion of his body/top fin and one on the right side of his belly. Since noticing these spots, and being unable to catch him from my DT, I decided to focus on feeding more seaweed (Ocean Nutrition seaweed select: red marine algae) and pray that he got better as I wasn’t exactly sure what the issue was. Fast forward to today, he is swimming erratically (very twitchy movements), flashing every few minutes, taking breaks on his side within the rock work, and appears to be pestering the other fish.

Tank mates include:
1-valentini puffer
1-diamond watchman goby
2-oscillarus clowns
3-blue/green chromis
1-firefish

Tank size is 135 gallons with canister filter (no UV light within filter, only UV aquarium lights). I feed the tank frozen mysis shrimp X2 daily, pellets X1 daily, and a half sheet of seaweed daily for the single tang.

I test water parameters weekly and, ever since cycling the tank, they’ve been within normal range across the board without any issues. I’ve had the tank established since April.

Has anyone experienced this before with their tang? If so, what kind of treatment should I do? What is it? I may have given up hope for this guy as I can tell he is severely sick at this point, but if yall think there’s still time to treat him, I obviously will. However, this will mostly be for future reference as this will not be the last tang I stock. TIA

IMG_2849.jpeg IMG_2850.jpeg IMG_2851.jpeg
This is a bacterial issue and fish is also thin. Some causes can be injury, bite marks from neighbor occupants or fish weak and bumping into objects in tank. If fish is eating, what foods are you offering?
Treatment best in a separate tank using seachem Kanaplex with added oxygen.

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back