Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this beautiful emperor for about 7 years and never seen him like this!
I have a FOWLR and didnt add any fish recently (the last one was one year ago)
Suddendly he started to act strange and hide on the rocks. All the other fishes are fine, what could possible be this?

20230428_171426.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have this beautiful emperor for about 7 years and never seen him like this!
I have a FOWLR and didnt add any fish recently (the last one was one year ago)
Suddendly he started to act strange and hide on the rocks. All the other fishes are fine, what could possible be this?

View attachment 3130065
Appears to be velvet and placing fish in a mixing bowl will further stress it.
You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emperor angels are well known to develop blanched skin spots in response to skin parasites. The two most common causes are flukes and marine ich, Cryptocaryon.

I can't say how those could have gotten into the tank though. No new fish, but have you added anything wet to the tank in the last three months?

Jay

BRS
OP
OP
C

Coral.Inc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Vette! I just put him in there to take a good pic. Actually I just did all the protocol! You and Jay even not knowing me, just helped many times. No fishes enter into my tank without 28 days protocol. Thats seems really strange to me. I just cant understand how this happened

OP
OP
C

Coral.Inc

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emperor angels are well known to develop blanched skin spots in response to skin parasites. The two most common causes are flukes and marine ich, Cryptocaryon.

I can't say how those could have gotten into the tank though. No new fish, but have you added anything wet to the tank in the last three months?

Jay
Hello Jay!
First of all, you are a really blessing in this hobby. I have follow your protocol since then and never had any issues. I really take quarantine seriously. But this time really strike me.
Nothing got into my tank in the past year. And all the fishes seems fine. No white spots, healthy and eating really well.
They are in a 1050G tank and really, nothing got into. No rocks, no inverts, nothing!
By the way I already did everything. I was just wondering if he is getting old (to a reef a tank)
or stresses could just make him like that

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay!
First of all, you are a really blessing in this hobby. I have follow your protocol since then and never had any issues. I really take quarantine seriously. But this time really strike me.
Nothing got into my tank in the past year. And all the fishes seems fine. No white spots, healthy and eating really well.
They are in a 1050G tank and really, nothing got into. No rocks, no inverts, nothing!
By the way I already did everything. I was just wondering if he is getting old (to a reef a tank)
or stresses could just make him like that

I don't think it is age related - I've never seen that, even with really old ones. The stress reaction is possible, but I'm not sure what would be stressing it, usually, the stress is parasites.

You could wait for secondary symptoms, to see if they develop. Things to watch for would be; other fish starting to show spots, or rapid breathing or lack of appetite in the angelfish.

Jay

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back