+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I made a stupid mistake the other day so I thought I’d share it here. I did a small 5 gallon water change on my 135g late Monday night maybe around 9:30pm. I like to break them up instead of doing one big one, makes me look at everything more. Either way while doing the water change the ink bird started making its noise since the water I poured into the sump was 2 degrees lower than my set temp. So I instinctively flipped the switch on the cade to silence it for now. Went about my usual water change business and cleaned up.

This morning 7:30am the tank is making a gargling noise in the return section. So I open the cabinet to see if my return pump is at its normal power and it is. But I notice the ink it’s screen is off. So I immediately start panicking and switch it back on. Well the temp was 56 degrees…

I added my spare heater to the display so now I have three heaters running to get the temp back up. The fish all seemed alive and well when I searching this morning. I don’t have any crazy sensitive coral. Only worried about my torches and hammers besides my fish.

The tank is in the basement and it’s a finished basement that usually stays around 70 but I’m sure overnight it drops to 65 down there.

the only thing I can’t explain is why my water level was lower to begin with causing the return section to gargle? Could colder water cause that? It is a gravity top off so maybe it effects the float valve? Either way that saved the tank for now.

TLDR:
I switched my ink bird off for over 24hours. Hopefully everything survives!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Michael Gentile

Michael Gentile

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, all the fish are alive for now, the temp is up to 74? Which doesn’t make sense since the ink bird is set to 78. Most of the corals look very unhappy but that’s okay with me. As long as none of the fish pass.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Coral Frenzy
Back