Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all I am kind of throwing in the towel with scarlet skunk shrimp as my fish keep killing them :p I believe it is my lemon peel angel but I am unsure. Anyways I really want some sort of shrimp so wondering what options can be recommended other than the scarlets. 150 gal tank I've got 2 clowns, Desjardini sailfin, Purple tang, and the Lemon peel. They all get fed 2 times a day and honestly sometimes 3 LOL. Any recommendations or advice would be great thank you!

AquaCave Logo Banner

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a couple questions - 1. How do you know it's the fish killing the shrimp? Second - 2. The Lemon Peel angel should be called the 'Demon' Peel - so its possible.. 3. Cleaner shrimp are usually safe it would be odd for any fish to kill them - except something like Tusk, etc. Are you sure they are not dying of old age (since they do not live long in general)

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess a couple questions - 1. How do you know it's the fish killing the shrimp? Second - 2. The Lemon Peel angel should be called the 'Demon' Peel - so its possible.. 3. Cleaner shrimp are usually safe it would be odd for any fish to kill them - except something like Tusk, etc. Are you sure they are not dying of old age (since they do not live long in general)
I have watched the lemon peel sit and pick at it the shrimp are usually dead within a few days of having them. Also the female Ocellaris gets a little angry around the shrimp as well. I've never had problems with the cleaners in the passed thats why im so surprised. Side note whats funny is I have some zoa's and clove polyps and it seems the lemon peel does not touch them which is odd.

AS
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's also weird is the lemon peel will let them clean him one minute then the next minute hes a demon.

Keko21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my suggestion for a hardy CUC...
1680813494636.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's also weird is the lemon peel will let them clean him one minute then the next minute hes a demon.
I'm thinking the shrimp are dying of something else. Angels do not usually attack them - they will eat the mole skin. That said - I had one mow down an entire tank of LPS in a couple weeks

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the shrimp are dying of something else. Angels do not usually attack them - they will eat the mole skin. That said - I had one mow down an entire tank of LPS in a couple weeks
I'm entirely unsure what they could die of... water parameters are wonderful atm. Even with the angel nipping at him you don't think he's the culprit?

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm entirely unsure what they could die of... water parameters are wonderful atm. Even with the angel nipping at him you don't think he's the culprit?
Dunno - what I was trying to get at is 'how old are the shrimp when they are dying'. If its a couple days - yes. It's its a couple weeks yes. If you add a shrimp - and it lasts until a year - no. Lemon Peels IMHO - are the devil. But - Shrimp die of a lot of different things. For example as well - I could add 3 cleaner shrimp to my tank - and within a day - all would be eaten by my wrasse

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno - what I was trying to get at is 'how old are the shrimp when they are dying'. If its a couple days - yes. It's its a couple weeks yes. If you add a shrimp - and it lasts until a year - no. Lemon Peels IMHO - are the devil. But - Shrimp die of a lot of different things. For example as well - I could add 3 cleaner shrimp to my tank - and within a day - all would be eaten by my wrasse
Hrmmmmmmm okay. Are the coral banded's or Fire shrimp tougher? Meaning if my lemon peel did try something would they be able to scare him off? I hear ya on the lemon peel are little bit of demons but there beautiful and I love the fish tbh. I have a Emperor Angel showing up here soon maybe that'll make the lemon peel feel a little less of the king of the tank LOL.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello all I am kind of throwing in the towel with scarlet skunk shrimp as my fish keep killing them :p I believe it is my lemon peel angel but I am unsure. Anyways I really want some sort of shrimp so wondering what options can be recommended other than the scarlets. 150 gal tank I've got 2 clowns, Desjardini sailfin, Purple tang, and the Lemon peel. They all get fed 2 times a day and honestly sometimes 3 LOL. Any recommendations or advice would be great thank you!
Coral banded shrimp are rough and tough but assure shrimp are Very well acclimated.
Additionally, assure calcium level is not low and provide tight space hiding where the shrimp can retreat to but fish wont fit

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral banded shrimp are rough and tough but assure shrimp are Very well acclimated.
Additionally, assure calcium level is not low and provide tight space hiding where the shrimp can retreat to but fish wont fit
My calc has been a bit low imo I believe im at 180 ppm currently which is not ideal. Surprisingly my alk and mag are fine though not sure if IO reef crystals are just low in calc by norm?

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My calc has been a bit low imo I believe im at 180 ppm currently which is not ideal. Surprisingly my alk and mag are fine though not sure if IO reef crystals are just low in calc by norm?
generally not but could be high consumption. That alone will affects shelled species including shrimp.
Assure youre not getting false readings on the CA.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
generally not but could be high consumption. That alone will affects shelled species including shrimp.
Will test again right now. I'm not entirely sure what could be consuming calc at a high rate only have clove polyps and zoas. No other inverts other than snails.

OP
OP
C

Coogzreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was incorrect on the calcium reading not sure what threw it off I am approx 360 ppm

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was incorrect on the calcium reading not sure what threw it off I am approx 360 ppm
Better- Try to get to the 400-425 range

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Is there a product that will raise just calcium without affecting alk much? my alk is on the lower end of the sweet range so if it goes up 1 or 2 dkh itll be about perfect.
seachem caclification

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back