Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few golden dwarves. I just moved my current one into my 90 reef because he got a little too mouthy at feeding time with the smaller fish. I'd LOVE to have a skeletor, but I can't mix one with my golden dwarf, and I'd fear for my wrasses.
I would actually think a skeletor would do fine with wrasses and a golden dwarf moray. I find it to be the most peaceful of all the eels ive had. It hasn't even touched my tiny peppermint shrimp the last 4 months ive had it. I also keep small clowns with it and am adding wrasses soon. :)

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually think a skeletor would do fine with wrasses and a golden dwarf moray. I find it to be the most peaceful of all the eels ive had. It hasn't even touched my tiny peppermint shrimp the last 4 months ive had it. I also keep small clowns with it and am adding wrasses soon. :)

My current list in a 36x24x24 90 gallon...
2 full grown 3"+ occelaris clowns
4+" melanarus
3½" brunneus
3½" leopard
3" black leopard
2½" mccoskers
4" tomini
8" golden dwarf

I'd be concerned with the skeletor eating the dwarf. I've heard eels do not get along, with the exception of multiple GDMs. Also, I just have a Red Sea screen top. I'd need to find a heavier lid for a skeletor.

Top Shelf Aquatics

LukeWolf

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current list in a 36x24x24 90 gallon...
2 full grown 3"+ occelaris clowns
4+" melanarus
3½" brunneus
3½" leopard
3" black leopard
2½" mccoskers
4" tomini
8" golden dwarf

I'd be concerned with the skeletor eating the dwarf. I've heard eels do not get along, with the exception of multiple GDMs. Also, I just have a Red Sea screen top. I'd need to find a heavier lid for a skeletor.

I think your fish would be fine. you might ask BobLoblaw about the two together. ive kept a huge zebra with a small snowflake and had no problems

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 1027739 View attachment 1027739 View attachment 1027744 just picked this guy up on live aquari last week already eating like a pig
Mine is a HOG... eats way more than something it's size should. Usually two pieces the size you're feeding at least every other night, usually it eats that mush for 3 or 4 nights in a row. It was hungry last night but I didn't have time to thaw food for it before bed. I'll feed it extra tonight so it's satisfied.

AS
Corals.com

soflmuddin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught this little guy yesterday. He is just about a foot long. I was concerned he could be food for one of the other 5 eels so I kept him in a container overnight and fed the other eels heavy. Decided to remove the larger spotted moray as he kept sniffing around the container. Had a territorial dispute with the smaller spotted and green, he got cut, but he wasn't eaten, yet.
1556463338531.jpeg
1556463415795.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught this little guy yesterday. He is just about a foot long. I was concerned he could be food for one of the other 5 eels so I kept him in a container overnight and fed the other eels heavy. Decided to remove the larger spotted moray as he kept sniffing around the container. Had a territorial dispute with the smaller spotted and green, he got cut, but he wasn't eaten, yet. View attachment 1054130View attachment 1054131
How did this turn out?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

soflmuddin

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did this turn out?
He is all settled in and eating out of my hand. One night he managed to find a spot he could fit thru the back of the canopy. Luckily the one spot I missed sealing on a 7' long tank was above a 10" wide ato tank. He was in fresh water for 10+ hours.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is all settled in and eating out of my hand. One night he managed to find a spot he could fit thru the back of the canopy. Luckily the one spot I missed sealing on a 7' long tank was above a 10" wide ato tank. He was in fresh water for 10+ hours.
Eels are tough like that. I had one jump out and he was out for a while before i saw him and he survived.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
View attachment 596158

My snowflake is getting big I should take a newer pic. I got this guy at maybe 8" he was pretty small but now he's over 12" and a lot thicker.

In the past I kept garden eels. I had to give them away before I moved. Some of my all time favorite creatures to keep. The splendid (orange ones) are not as hearty as the regular spotted ones.

View attachment 596159
Any advice for the garden eels? My wife really wants some. Would they do better in a community or predator tank? In public aquaria we always see them in species only or community tanks. Where do you source them?
Thanks, cool shots!

CLICK TO VIEW

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice for the garden eels? My wife really wants some. Would they do better in a community or predator tank? In public aquaria we always see them in species only or community tanks. Where do you source them?
Thanks, cool shots!

The deeper the sand the better. I would say 6" is min but 8-10" is ideal. They do best in their own tank. The flow has to go over them because if food does not pass over them they will not eat. This is very important to remember but relatively easy to adjust flow to accomplish. They are very skittish and afraid of everything including their food and their own shadow. Once they are comfortable you can add fish but I would wait several months until they are comfortable. When they are comfortable various fish are fine with them. I had chromis, cardinals, a butterfly ect. Fish will actually help later as you generally have to overfeed them since again only food that passes over them they will eat. This means there is a lot of uneaten food.

I bought mine at LFS. I believe they are seasonal, but I think it was around summer time that I got them.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The deeper the sand the better. I would say 6" is min but 8-10" is ideal. They do best in their own tank. The flow has to go over them because if food does not pass over them they will not eat. This is very important to remember but relatively easy to adjust flow to accomplish. They are very skittish and afraid of everything including their food and their own shadow. Once they are comfortable you can add fish but I would wait several months until they are comfortable. When they are comfortable various fish are fine with them. I had chromis, cardinals, a butterfly ect. Fish will actually help later as you generally have to overfeed them since again only food that passes over them they will eat. This means there is a lot of uneaten food.

I bought mine at LFS. I believe they are seasonal, but I think it was around summer time that I got them.
Thanks!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pacific East
Back