Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally when doing standard maintenance like cleaning the glass or sump components I just use bare hands..

Occasionally I use Nitrile/powder free latex gloves I have around the house/garage when handling certain coral or mixing epoxy, etc.. However the gloves fill up with water since they are only hand length which is not ideal and is messy.

Recently this had me thinking about a pair of shoulder length gloves - 27” or so in length. Reviews for the corallife gloves for instance are ‘’meh” because of being too bulky to keep dexterity.

Do you use gloves? Do you have a set you would recommend?

23F147E3-C782-4B36-811D-532932F3EE93.jpeg

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i strongly recommend it. eat if you have paly’s and zoas in your tank… too many horror stories of exposure to these corals. also, we have tons of bacteria and pathogens on our hands that we wouldn’t want to pass on in to our tanks.

i use these gloves as well every time i put my hands in the tank. a bit inconvenient because of the size and lack of accuracy when holding things or placing things but that’s okay

czoolander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some all red gloves on amazon that give better dexterity in the fingers. I used the gloves you sent in the picture for over a year they are ok and decent for moving rocks but if you need to get precise with anything they are no good . I also found these tend to leak where the red meets the blue and I had just had enough of them and got the red ones.

Negative with the red gloves is they are shorter and I would pull and stretch the elastic with one hand while I reached in with the other and they are thin plastic and did not hold up long

I would use bare hands but I have bristleworms in my tank. Foxface rabbitfish . None of which I want to be touching with my bare hands haha

czoolander

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i strongly recommend it. eat if you have paly’s and zoas in your tank… too many horror stories of exposure to these corals. also, we have tons of bacteria and pathogens on our hands that we wouldn’t want to pass on in to our tanks.

i use these gloves as well every time i put my hands in the tank. a bit inconvenient because of the size and lack of accuracy when holding things or placing things but that’s okay
Do yours leak where the red meets the blue as well? or did I just get unlucky?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used those gloves before, they are too bulky, and they were greasy right out of the packaging, its a good idea but never works for me, I think putting gloves on is just overkill and just some rehashed information that sounded good and stuck. I've seen many experienced reefers and coral farms not use gloves even people that dive in their tanks full body, I use dawn and rinse my hands good but I don't believe the bacteria and pathogens from our dry hands would survive in a reef aquarium its hard enough to get beneficial bacteria to grow, and the oils on our hands are not water soluble so what is there besides protecting your self that needs to be worried about? And if protecting your self is the goal than absolutely i agree, but not for the protection of the system. I have done more damage to my corals fumbling around and knocking things over trying to use those gloves than going in bare handed. I have no scientific evidence of this its just my beliefs and the reasons I don't use arm length gloves.

shakacuz

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yours leak where the red meets the blue as well? or did I just get unlucky?
i do not have that particular version. mine are all blue and come up to my shoulder. got them at my LFS

n1ng

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally when doing standard maintenance like cleaning the glass or sump components I just use bare hands..

Occasionally I use Nitrile/powder free latex gloves I have around the house/garage when handling certain coral or mixing epoxy, etc.. However the gloves fill up with water since they are only hand length which is not ideal and is messy.

Recently this had me thinking about a pair of shoulder length gloves - 27” or so in length. Reviews for the corallife gloves for instance are ‘’meh” because of being too bulky to keep dexterity.

Do you use gloves? Do you have a set you would recommend?

View attachment 2722576
I bought a pair of those and the quality is not there. The length was not long enough. I ended up buying these:

Atlas Glove 772. Much longer and thicker. Price at the time was comparable or cheaper than most of what the hobby was offering.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaFish802

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what started me down this road initially. Seen the stories come through the forum every so often :grimacing-face:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I selected "other" because I bought a pair when I first got started in the hobby but I haven't needed them... Yet. I started with dry rock so no nasties on there and I only keep peaceful corals, fish and inverts. The only thing I find is that sometimes I get itchy on the arm that goes in the tank so it could be a mild reaction to the salt. If that gets worse then I might need to wear them but so far so good.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SaltwaterAquarium.com
Back