Should I wait to mount frags to new rock?

BRS

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I upgraded tanks. I transferred everything over from my 65 gallon to a 180. So there is quite a bit of new dry Caribsea rock in the tank.
my question is should I wait to mount frags to the new rock or go for it. I can see what I think is some diatoms starting to show up in spots. Right now I have some acros doing well on frag racks that I’d like to mount. Also would like to rearrange some older corals from old rock into more preferred locations.
61AEC7D3-9B26-40E0-BAA2-0480D020D70D.jpeg
65A5D0F2-50E0-490C-8323-C8ACF3C8624D.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really pretty tank! Every time I’ve changed from tank to tank (even though I used my same established live rock and filter media), I’ve had a mini version of the uglies come and go.
So my advice to you is to leave all your frags on the racks until everything stabilizes after a few weeks.
The other thing to look out for: now that everything is really clean in the new tank, be very careful that your nutrients down bottom out to zero. Make sure everything is nice and stable before risking all your nice corals.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really pretty tank! Every time I’ve changed from tank to tank (even though I used my same established live rock and filter media), I’ve had a mini version of the uglies come and go.
So my advice to you is to leave all your frags on the racks until everything stabilizes after a few weeks.
The other thing to look out for: now that everything is really clean in the new tank, be very careful that your nutrients down bottom out to zero. Make sure everything is nice and stable before risking all your nice corals.
Thanks for the feedback! I’m itching to rearrange but I’ll hold off I guess. I originally had another scape in mind for the right side of the tank but removed it all for the old rock and coral.

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, find access to a PAR meter. I thought I had 150 or so at the top of my rocks in the beginning. Then a friend came with his meter and I had 380!!! So be careful of that too.
I got one. I bought it about a year ago planning to “rent” it and once I realized how underwhelming my par was when I thought it might be too much, I kept it.
My high par was about 250 I think in the old tank. When I transferred everything I cut the percentage in half and have been increasing it 2-3% daily since.

Avast
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Frag Farm
Back