Should I use a union before a gate valve on DIY manifold?

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m planning on putting together my own manifold. Still not sure what I’m going to run off it but want to future proof. I want to make something like the manifold imagine I stole off of here. Should I put a union before the gate valve in case I ever need to replace/clean it or it ok if it’s all glued in?

IMG_8591.png

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do have double union gate valves that can very easily be removed for maintenance. That would be how I would do it.

Edit. I meant ball valve. Most gates can be taken apart already.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I’m planning on putting together my own manifold. Still not sure what I’m going to run off it but want to future proof. I want to make something like the manifold imagine I stole off of here. Should I put a union before the gate valve in case I ever need to replace/clean it or it ok if it’s all glued in?

IMG_8591.png
Its a matter of preference, but I do to allow easy access/removal for cleaning

SPS2020

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Depending upon the location, I like to use a ball valve before a union so I can prevent any water from flowing to that portion of the plumbing. So, yes to your question about a union, but also consider a ball valve prior (IMO).

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back