Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hannah calcium tester and I was sceptical about it's test results it is giving me, a reading of 460ppm. I bought an API test and I tested my water and it told me 340ppm. What should I trust more? A new API test kit or my 3 year old Hannah tester. All reagents are not expired.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Nutramar Foods

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix a fresh batch of salt, test with both, see which is closer.
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

That or take a sample to a lfs that could test it.

Norcoreefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

That or take a sample to a lfs that could test it.
Lol I wouldn't even trust LFS because most of them are also using API or their staff isn't trained in testing properly. You want something done right, do it yourself.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I wouldn't even trust LFS because most of them are also using API or their staff isn't trained in testing properly. You want something done right, do it yourself.
Maybe I should’ve specified “trusted” lfs.

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

Garf

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting extremely predictable results combining the photometer in the egg with API phos and nitrate reagents, not calcium admittedly. Unless a stock solution with a known concentration is used to calibrate any results I’m not sure anyone is in a position to judge.

Nman

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting extremely predictable results combining the photometer in the egg with API phos and nitrate reagents, not calcium admittedly. Unless a stock solution with a known concentration is used to calibrate any results I’m not sure anyone is in a position to judge.
Sorry Iam not judging you imo api is not reliable I moved to salfert which is reliable imo
I’ve never used hanna so I carnt be judged on that imo . Hope all your testing goes good for you . The photo was for a bit of humour. Don’t judge me for having a sense of humour it was how I was made imo . Good luck

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do what I did, not directly related to this but rather salinity. I checked 2 SG floating arm ones against a refractometer and checked it to my Hanna tester and the swing arm testers read 1.026 the other 1.023 and refractometer 1.028. The Hanna 1.025 against my 20 year old glass floating hydrometer. The glass one and Hanna were spot on.

I'm done chasing numbers and if I kept the refractometer and other 2 devices it drive me nuts so in the garbage they went.

Imho you may be using the Hanna improperly perhaps, or the glass vial is scratched and or dirty? API are garbage in my past experience using them.

Do me a favor and take a photo of the vial that's all ready to drop in the Hanna. I want to see the color. My wife and myself place bets on looking at the color before I drop it in the egg and press the button for a number. We're both getting pretty close guessing the level just by the color. I know it's silly but it's a game we play and have fun guessing and we're actually getting darn close at what the egg spits out ;)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hannah calcium tester and I was sceptical about it's test results it is giving me, a reading of 460ppm. I bought an API test and I tested my water and it told me 340ppm. What should I trust more? A new API test kit or my 3 year old Hannah tester. All reagents are not expired.
Personally, average them out and call it a day. 400ppm is about right.
Not that important at that level.

OP
OP
Auto-pilot

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I mixed up a new batch of slat water, my salt is 450 when mixed. API read somewhere in the 430s and my Hanna tester read 575. Definitely something wrong with my egg tester, I've been running my calcium extremely low not realizing my egg tester was wrong I suspect. Calcium has probably been around 320 for months.

C_AWOL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to base it off of currently using a hanna marine master + red sea + a donated api calcium test I would actually pick the api contrary to everyone bashing their test kits as being inaccurate trash. My hanna registers CA as very different than both the api and red sea which are fairly close to each other.

Although unrelated, for nitrate in my experience as well it lines up with my salifert and hanna just fine for anything around 20-40 just fine as a general reading since anything higher in most tanks should be under consideration of getting addressed.

The only api test that I can think off of the top of my head that I would outright skip is the nitrite one due to how unimportant it is in a marine situation and copper (or any copper test kit other than a hanna for that matter) due to difficulty of reading.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back