Should I get a school of anthia or damsels?

BRS

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are considered to be a lot of work because they need 3-4 small feedings each day and pristine water quality. The school of damsels might work, but expect a lot of aggression. They would also not school for long, setting up their own territories apart from one another. Instead, I would get 6-7 scissortail dartfish. They school pretty well, and are about the most peaceful fish in the hobby. Just have a lid over the tank, as they are jumpers. I hope that this helps!

Upvote 0

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the feeding and how they feed. They require near constant feeding as that's how they live in the wild. They have a very high metabolism and also feed on planktonic matter in the water column. So it's definitely tricky. Some people feed them 6-7 times a day.

Upvote 0

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 anthias , in a 300 and they get feed twice a day and no issues...Had them almost a year
That's great. When I tried to taper down to fewer feedings I ran into problems with them not getting enough food. Ended up rehoming to a person with a 450g tank where they thrived.

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
Back