Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a 1" YWG, have had him for about a week. Within the first few days he was eating whatever I gave him, mysis, brine, pellets, flakes, and would swim above the sandbed to eat as well. Over the past couple days I have dropped frozen and prepared foods directly in front of him and he didn't even try and eat them. Today it looked like he grabbed a couple brine shrimp when I tried feeding him but couldn't confirm he ate anything. When I tried to give him an additional flake using some feeder tongs, I accidentally touched him with the tongs and he didn't seem to care (it was almost like I could just grab him with my hand and pick him up). Should I be worried about this sort of behavior? Is it worth trying to catch him and throw him in an acclimation box so I can watch him eat over the next few days? I don't have any weird chemical spikes (am going through the ugly stage right now but all my other fish, foxface, pintail fairy, 2 clowns, starry blenny, are all acting totally normal, nitrates at 17 ppm and ammonia undetectable). The goby has also not lost any color and was quarantined before introduction.

CLICK TO VIEW

Idech

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first YWG about 6 weeks ago. I had so much trouble with him. He would just glass surf, hide in tight spaces and never eat.

I put him in a hospital tank, fattened him up and put him back. I got rid of a bully so he would feel safe. He started doing the same behavior. I put him in a breeding box to (again) try to save him from starving. This fish just wanted to die. I practically had to put the food in his mouth with a pipette so he would eat a few pieces.

As a last resort, I got him a pistol shrimp. I put the shrimp with him in the breeding box. They immediately started touching each other and staying close. I let them in there for 24 hours and released them, being careful to let them go both in the same spot, at the same time. The shrimp started digging, the YWG stood guard and they have been living their life since then. I’ve seen the YWG once (it’s been about a week) and I hear the shrimp a few times a day.

That’s my story. I now believe these fish aren’t made to live without a shrimp.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back