Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so today the tank was shocking me when putting my hands in and some of the corals aren't looking as good as they were the other day would that be from the stray voltage? also im almost certain its the heater so im getting a new one.

Top Shelf Aquatics

kados

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so today the tank was shocking me when putting my hands in and some of the corals aren't looking as good as they were the other day would that be from the stray voltage? also im almost certain its the heater so im getting a new one.
Usually a powerhead or heater. Powerheads are a common issue. Can test each in a bucket to be safe. Ground Probe is a good idea also.

Nutramar Foods

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please take a volt meter to the tank. Place the positive probe in the water and the negative probe in the ground of the outlet. That will show you how much voltage you're dealing with.

When it comes to YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY, I would recommend a grounding probe.

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please take a volt meter to the tank. Place the positive probe in the water and the negative probe in the ground of the outlet. That will show you how much voltage you're dealing with.

When it comes to YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY, I would recommend a grounding probe.
I'm like 99% positive its the heater because I took it out and I'm no longer getting shocked. also I heard that having a grounding probe without a GFCI outlet can be dangerous is this true?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Add a grounding probe but first locate the source. Often these below are causes and you want to start with return pump and unplug and do finger test until you find which one is the cause. If you unplug and no sting- that is your culprit.
Return pump
Power head
Heater
skimmer

Ground probe:
1674236548694.png
1674236568853.png

Avast

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm like 99% positive its the heater because I took it out and I'm no longer getting shocked. also I heard that having a grounding probe without a GFCI outlet can be dangerous is this true?

I would absolutely have a GFCI installed, even if you weren't using a grounding probe.

But a grounding probe gives stray electricity a path out of the tank on which to travel. Without it, the tank becomes a battery, in a manner of speaking .

OP
OP
wolt

wolt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely have a GFCI installed, even if you weren't using a grounding probe.

But a grounding probe gives stray electricity a path out of the tank on which to travel. Without it, the tank becomes a battery, in a manner of speaking .
how hard would it be to install a GFCI or should i get a professional to install it for me?

Top Shelf Aquatics

anthonygf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are pretty simple to install- they simply plug in:
For the record, a GFCI is your absolute first line of defense. Protect yourself first! A grounding probe won’t protect you like a GFCI! In fact, without it your ground probe is more dangerous.
How is a ground probe more dangerous without a GFCI?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is a ground probe more dangerous without a GFCI?
Never mind Steve Zee. I found this thread and explains everything. It is very dangerous, thank you for this mention. I will also install GFCI outlets along with my ground probe.

Using ground probes in aquariums​

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back