Share your best money saving tips for the reef hobby!

BRS

Lebowski_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is inspired by a thread about how expensive this hobby can be.

What kinds of tips can you share about reefkeeping that have helped out your bank account.

2 that come to mind for me are:

1. If you are setting up a small tank, check facebook marketplace or kajiji for furniture rather than buying a stand. Often you can find sturdy, heavy, solid wood cabinets and dressers for $50 CAD or less, and as long as you take a minute to check on how it holds weight and how level the top is, it can save you a lot of money. The big box store stands are often mader of a covered MDF and still cost a fortune.

2. Check locally for equipment and frags. Some of my best finds were on Kajiji. When someone loses passion for the hobby, they usually want to get rid of the "wet part" (livestock, rock, coral) ASAP. The equipment is often less reasonable ($100 for a used 20g? Really).

World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Coral- Buy local or from club members
Fish- Shop around- Example- Just got a clown tang 5" shipped at $146 . . . LFS for 3" was $199
Tank/equipment- Look at used before new and closeouts
BUY THE BEST YOU CANNOT AFFORD, THEREBY BUYING IT ONCE

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY dosing chemicals 100%

I have enough calcium chloride to last me 10 years dosng nearly 2 gallons a month, and it only cost me $50.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used gear. I have picked up a lot of gear on fb marketplace for dirt cheap. EXCEPT heaters. Just buy a new one. They're cheap enough, and they are the number 1 cause of a catastrophic tank crash. I also have an inkbird wifi temp controller on each rank. Lot of peace of mind for like $60.

Also my absolute best advice for saving money long term: buy once, cry once. Don't just get a piece of equipment that will work for now, go ahead and get the right gear the first time. I know it can be hard to know what's the right gear when you're starting out, but research research research. Find a local club or a mentor on here. See if you can find it used.

YOYOYOReefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Advice is to not try small tanks if your are a rookie. Everything is easier in a bigger volume of water …also is skip the needle wheels and get a tall Venturi or Beckett skimmer and if You can deal with the heat halides are The cheapest lighting option by far

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy rimmed tanks on sale. If you "need" a drilled tank drill it yourself (assuming you already own a drill). Buy corals locally when at all possible. Buy used gear. Research as much as possible to find best options in your budget. Explore lighting options, T5, used, black boxes, etc. . .

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

clownfish81

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What kinds of tips can you share about reefkeeping that have helped out your bank account.

1. If you are setting up a small tank, check facebook marketplace or kajiji for furniture rather than buying a stand. Often you can find sturdy, heavy, solid wood cabinets and dressers for $50 CAD or less, and as long as you take a minute to check on how it holds weight and how level the top is, it can save you a lot of money. The big box store stands are often mader of a covered MDF and still cost a fortune.

2. Check locally for equipment and frags. Some of my best finds were on Kajiji. When someone loses passion for the hobby, they usually want to get rid of the "wet part" (livestock, rock, coral) ASAP. The equipment is often less reasonable ($100 for a used 20g? Really).
Old doesn't mean broken
I'm planning to use T5 and metal halide on my up coming build
Yes I know they have their downsides and issues
But they are cheap
And they worked in the past so why not now?

Also tanks
Sometimes it may need some scrubbing and work but you can save a bunch of money if you find the right listing
I bought a 65 gallon for $55 for pickup just a 20 min drive away
1685198346867.png

DIY where possible
I don't know about elsewhere but stands here in Japan is unreasonably expensive
No, a stand of 2x4s wont look as good
But it'll be much much cheaper (and probably stronger)

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This one's relatively small, but it works in more places than just this hobby: vendors at shows and expos are often willing to negotiate prices a little, particularly if you buy multiple things. Bring cash and make an offer.

19Mateo83

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know it’s already been said but buy the best equipment that you can’t afford. Buying it only once will save you a ton of money in the long run. Also…. Go as big as you can. Small tanks usually lead to bigger tanks.

Top Shelf Aquatics

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon out the water > scoop out the sand and rock > capture the livestock > minimally clean up the tank and equipment > list on Marketplace > ??? > profit.

Propane

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy your own RODI system. Using tap water causes problems. Driving to get water is gas, time and water cost and if they get lazy with their filters it causes problems and having to go get water might make you skip water changes. More problems.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When I first started this is how I ended up with close to 400lbs of live rock that I spilt up into 3 different setups .

Good luck even finding the rocks now

CLICK TO VIEW

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be afraid of diy. Ask for help from friends and family for tools if you don't have them. Watch lots of videos. I build my stand, had experience so not worried, did all of my own plumbing, no experience went great, drilled my own tank, no experience went fine, after spending my retirement on a sump, I did a diy for my frag tank, no issues.

skimmerman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own auto top off using two gallon water container and a cheap float valve. I have to fill the resivior once a day.calcium reactor best investment no additives or expensive dosing pumps or calcium reagents.

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpeg
    IMG_3282.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 32
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back