Setting up Lights Help - XR30 Pros WWC Spectrum - PAR meter rental ends in 2 days - anything I’m missing?

BRS

Pepper Reefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Thank you for reading my post and for offering your advice on setting up my XR30s

After watching this video: It seems like the WWC coral spectrum is better for growth and appearance of corals than to use standard AB+
I have been using the 75 gallon settings as found here: https://worldwidecorals.com/pages/led-lighting-presets

With intensity set to 69% I am hitting these PAR numbers throughout my tank during the blue period (two XR30 pros 75 gallon)
PAR-during-blue-period.png

This seems to be ideal, where I can be growing soft coral / LPS at the bottom, and some SPS that do okay on the lower SPS par range
(the WWC spectrum is much more blue than this picture which was taken at ~6500K - I know that some do not like the “Windex” look — personally I would rather have the ideal spectrum / light for the corals needs, and then if I want to see it under more natural sunlight look, I can just “demo mode” and switch to 5500-6500 kelvin for temporary viewing if I want to; but I'm open to different opinions!)

As I understand it, from watching WWC videos discussing lighting, they do ~4 hours of blue + white, and then ~8 hours of blue, to match similar to reefs in the wild, where corals may get most of their photosynthesis done during a shorter interval and then ‘chill’ more the rest of the day

From 6:30am to 10:45am, they have
>100% UV
>100% Violet
>100% Royal
>100% Blue
>10% Green
>5% Red
>10% Warm white
>15% Cool white
65% point intensity

And then from 10:45am to 7:15pm (with ramp down)
>100% UV
>100% Violet
>100% Royal
>100% Blue
>0% Green
>0% Red
>0% Warm white
>0% Cool white
65% point intensity

I am wondering if I should be trying to match the PAR during the morning ‘white + blue period’ to match the later ‘blue period’, where it’s same PAR slightly different spectrum throughout the day
OR
if the white + blue period 6:30-10:45am should be the highest PAR looking to match the levels in the image above, and then the blue period be slightly lower for the rest of the day (how much lower?)
Would it be ideal to have the same PAR readings during the morning blue + white as I do during just the blue?

I planned on taking measurements of the PAR under some different kelvin too, so that I know what the PAR is like if I were to switch it to a more daylight look for temporary viewing

What other measurements would you recommend I take, so that I can know for reference after returning the PAR meter?
Eg. Make my own spectrum that is pleasing to the eye and measure that? Measure AB+ / tune it in case I swapped to AB+? Take measurements at lower intensity of the WWC spectrum, so that I can know in case I need to lower / acclimation?

What do you wish you had done / measured when you rented your PAR meter, that you only figured out after your returned it?

Thank you very much for your help and advice!!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aqua SD
Back