Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for insight on lighting for my Tank: 12.75 in L x 48.5 in W x 25 in H. It's a 60 gallon. I'm new to saltwater and want hard and soft corals to grow in this tank. Prefer not to spend over 350. I'd prefer something that's not noisy or super wide. I've looked into getting a fluval t5 ho or fluval sea full spectrum marine and sea. It needs to go over tank not with brackets not hang.

Nutramar Foods

lennyd19

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use the fluval quadruple fixture should be enough to support the corals you would like. Just make sure to use a better bulb like ATI. I have 2 of the fluval 3' fixtures on my 50gal as supplement and they do great I get great color and growth. Do some research on the combo you would like. I use 2 purple+ and 2 blue+. I would suggest you do 2 blue+,1 coral+ and 1 true actinic or 1 purple+. As this will be your main lighting so you get some different spectrums. Check out Ati's website there is a tone of info. Hope this helps.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

lennyd19

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand your post your tank is 12 3/4" wide. And the fixture is 10" so one would suffice IMO. Leds are also a good choice cause the are cheaper to run and throw off less heat than t5. And you will not have to change bulbs once a year. Black box Leds can be a little tricky to dial though from what I hear. If heat is not an issue I would stick with t5.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
A

Amandarian

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand your post your tank is 12 3/4" wide. And the fixture is 10" so one would suffice IMO. Leds are also a good choice cause the are cheaper to run and throw off less heat than t5. And you will not have to change bulbs once a year. Black box Leds can be a little tricky to dial though from what I hear. If heat is not an issue I would stick with t5.
Heat doesn't bother me as long as it's not gonna melt the tank! Would the fluval sea and marine Led produce enough light needed for corals tho? I wouldn't mind a light that mounts to back of tank but I can't hang Anything from ceiling!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife. T5 four tube is a pretty goood fixture choice and the bulbs are not bad.

Some use the Odyssea brand t 5 from eBay and then replace the tubes with ati tubes. The Odyssea generally come with. Built in timers for the price. The tubes that come with it are ok, prob. It as good as coralife but you can slowly swap for better ones. I know a reputable seller if you'd like the link.

Both come with mounting legs.

The black boxes do come with legs but some don't like the look on the tanks.

I'm not familiar with the led you listed, most in that price range at not enough light for higher light coral , but I would reccomend an led strip like that and a two tube t5 fixture to go with it. Or a four tube if they fit.
The led is low heat and you can run it longer. And then just use the t5 for four or five hours.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
A

Amandarian

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralife. T5 four tube is a pretty goood fixture choice and the bulbs are not bad.

Some use the Odyssea brand t 5 from eBay and then replace the tubes with ati tubes. The Odyssea generally come with. Built in timers for the price. The tubes that come with it are ok, prob. It as good as coralife but you can slowly swap for better ones. I know a reputable seller if you'd like the link.

Both come with mounting legs.

The black boxes do come with legs but some don't like the look on the tanks.

I'm not familiar with the led you listed, most in that price range at not enough light for higher light coral , but I would reccomend an led strip like that and a two tube t5 fixture to go with it. Or a four tube if they fit.
The led is low heat and you can run it longer. And then just use the t5 for four or five hours.

Yes a link would be good

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a link would be good
Got it. Gimme a second.

Up high on the wish list and some research would be the sbreeflight 32 in ramping. It's a low budget Cadillac , it you can see what black box looks like on a 48in tank w legs.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FM
Back