Seeing this little growth on the back of my montipora digi and a tinier one on the front

Stoichiometry

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a small vermetid snail? Got this frag about a week ago from LFS and didn't noticed the base of it was discolored when I bought it as well. If it is a vermetid snail, can I try to clip with bone cutters or just yank it off? Pictures have been brightened and orange filter applied

verm1.jpeg digi2.jpeg

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had to zoom in real close but yes looks to be vermetid. smash it with bone clippers is a great option, it will affect and recede the base of the coral. It looks very bleached - either too much or not enough light. Have you moved it around a copule of spots to see if it perks up a bit more ?

OP
OP
Stoichiometry

Stoichiometry

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had to zoom in real close but yes looks to be vermetid. smash it with bone clippers is a great option, it will affect and recede the base of the coral. It looks very bleached - either too much or not enough light. Have you moved it around a copule of spots to see if it perks up a bit more ?
Thank you for commenting. It got added 6 days ago and was/is light pink. Think it's a bubblegum digi. I greatly adjusted the brightness up for the clarity of the photo and added an orange filter. I still think it looks like it's not doing that great even with those things in mind. My firestarter digi I got at the same time seems to be doing much better. Was thinking to move it to the middle of my tank a little higher to give it some more light and flow. It's glued directly to the rock. Will I be fine just pulling it off? It has enough glue where I might be able to use the bonecutter directly to the glue

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to the above, that is one very very unhappy coral.
But way cool on the other hand! I’ve never seen a coral that white that isn’t fresh rtn lol.. I had to zoom in to see if it was alive and it is! White polyps and all! Haha..

AquaCave Logo Banner

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for commenting. It got added 6 days ago and was/is light pink. Think it's a bubblegum digi. I greatly adjusted the brightness up for the clarity of the photo and added an orange filter. I still think it looks like it's not doing that great even with those things in mind. My firestarter digi I got at the same time seems to be doing much better. Was thinking to move it to the middle of my tank a little higher to give it some more light and flow. It's glued directly to the rock. Will I be fine just pulling it off? It has enough glue where I might be able to use the bonecutter directly to the glue
there is enough dead tissue below the live stuff you could cut it off right at the base of the frag plug and super glue it directly to something else.

My favorite is when a branch of my SPS falls off and I glue it down into another hole, like a free frag !

OP
OP
Stoichiometry

Stoichiometry

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is enough dead tissue below the live stuff you could cut it off right at the base of the frag plug and super glue it directly to something else.

My favorite is when a branch of my SPS falls off and I glue it down into another hole, like a free frag !
Yeah, I accidentally effed up removing my firestarter digi from the frag plug and one of the branches snapped off. I ended up glueing both pieces to my rock and they are both doing really well. I'm still a noob reefer. Thanks everyone for comments. I love this forum

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Corals.com
Back