Seeding with a chunk of rock with coral?

BRS

zwandz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello -

I have a 5 gallon I’ve used to learn the basics of the hobby. It’s doing pretty well, and I’m planning on moving into a 40 gallon next. I have coralline spreading, and all corals are doing really well

Can I remove a piece of live rock to help seed the next tank? Or should I start 100% fresh with its own cycle? If I were to seed with a piece of live rock, can a zoa colony survive the move or should I do a naked rock?

I plan on doing a full build thread for the new boy once it’s ready!

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Z

zwandz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drip acclimate the zoa rock and it should survive. You don’t need to do a 100% new cycle if you seed the tank but do add livestock slowly to allow the bacteria to populate to handle the bio load
So in that scenario, I’d use rock a, wait a bit, drip acclimate rock b with zoa and let it build up over time?

AquaCave Logo Banner

SilverRanger

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in that scenario, I’d use rock a, wait a bit, drip acclimate rock b with zoa and let it build up over time?
That’s pretty sensible and honestly a lot of good, easy cycles have a fish in for the cycle and especially with established rock I would so the bacteria doesn’t starve, a Chromis works great for this

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Buying a fish (particularly a species prone to uronema) exclusively because it's hardy and can survive a very new tank isn't the best practice. The bacteria won't die for lack of a fish in the tank.

No need to wait before adding the zoa rock, as it should bring its own bacteria over. Pop the rocks into the new tank, give 'em a week with maybe a dash of light ghost feeding, and then you should be able to add a hermit crab (target-fed until algae grows) or maybe a small fish. You might technically be able to stock faster without problems, but a little caution won't hurt.

Now, that's assuming you're dealing with dry rock that's been in an aquarium for a bit. If you started with ocean live rock, you can just transfer a few pounds and stock lightly right away.

OP
OP
Z

zwandz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a fish (particularly a species prone to uronema) exclusively because it's hardy and can survive a very new tank isn't the best practice. The bacteria won't die for lack of a fish in the tank.

No need to wait before adding the zoa rock, as it should bring its own bacteria over. Pop the rocks into the new tank, give 'em a week with maybe a dash of light ghost feeding, and then you should be able to add a hermit crab (target-fed until algae grows) or maybe a small fish. You might technically be able to stock faster without problems, but a little caution won't hurt.

Now, that's assuming you're dealing with dry rock that's been in an aquarium for a bit. If you started with ocean live rock, you can just transfer a few pounds and stock lightly right away.
I’d be using my existing tank’s rocks, essentially with the intention of using that tank’s materials to upgrade into the bigger tank - I just don’t want to kill my coral by moving them too soon

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right, but what I mean is, what was that rock before you put it in your tank? Was it dry rock, or did it come from the ocean?

You could always move a couple of hardier corals to test, and then, if they don't seem to do well, put them back into the old tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG! No need to drip anything. It's a zoa moving to a new tank. Match salinity and temp and get close on alk and plop it in! Also, corals do just fine during a cycle... Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are what they eat :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be using my existing tank’s rocks, essentially with the intention of using that tank’s materials to upgrade into the bigger tank - I just don’t want to kill my coral by moving them too soon
You won't.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cichlid Dad

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't.
I just moved a nano into a 60 gal. New water old sand washed. I used 20 pounds of rock from the nano, 30 pounds of new rock. Added a 10 pound rock covered with polys from my full size reef tank, all of the zoa's and Kenya trees from the nano 36 hours after putting tank together. No drip just made sure parameters were the same. Bobs your uncle everything is happy

OP
OP
Z

zwandz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved a nano into a 60 gal. New water old sand washed. I used 20 pounds of rock from the nano, 30 pounds of new rock. Added a 10 pound rock covered with polys from my full size reef tank, all of the zoa's and Kenya trees from the nano 36 hours after putting tank together. No drip just made sure parameters were the same. Bobs your uncle everything is happy
That’s basically what was in my head. So worth the shot then!

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back