SEAGRASS SUBSTRATE IDEAS, MANGOVE PEOPLE ARE WELCOME TO THE CONVERSATION.

Silver34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping to find the best success for growing seagrass, specifically Shoalgrass, and I know substrate is important. Seagrass and Mangroves are both vascular plants that grow in saltwater in similar environments. If you have any tips on how to grow seagrass feel free to add them to the conversation. If anyone knows any good substrated that works for Seagrass or Mangroves feel free to mention them. I have heard of people using freshwater substrates but many of them have Copper and I definitely want a variety of inverts, right now I am thinking of using root tabs like Seachem to provide them with the nutrients they need and the root tabs have a lower amount of copper that from what I have heard is not lethal to inverts though I am worried that the tabs won't be enough nutrients. I have heard of dosing iron and mineral mud. I am interested in seeing your guy's opinions and your pros and cons on these products and how they have supplemented Seagass and Mangrove growth.

OP
OP
S

Silver34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, are Seachem Root tabs really reef safe, and would the freshwater plants' substrates like Flourite not be so harmful to inverts and reef inhabitants? Also, what is your experience with these products?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to follow a gentleman on another forum ( reef central) who had a very successful 180 gallon seagrass tank. He had multiple types of seagrass. His name is Michael Hoaster and his tank build was in the invert/macroalgae topic. I think it was titled Carribean biotope seagrass tank. He took the tank down because of relocating, so you will need to go back 5 or 6 pages to get to his thread.
He used regular soil from his yard, along with sand. Of course don't use soil treated with pesticides or other chemicals.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know this. Seagrass will consume large amounts of nutrients, not only thru the roots but from foliage as well. Be prepared to dose supplements or feed heavy. I have many fishless systems in which I dose ammonia every day & liquid kelp concentrate every other day to promote macro algae growth.

Also know this, cooper & zinc are normal trace minerals in sea plants. Some seaweeds need iodine as do some corals like Xenia.

I use Seachem Flourite substrate which is heavy on the iron, a necessary mineral in coral and plants.

OP
OP
S

Silver34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know this. Seagrass will consume large amounts of nutrients, not only thru the roots but from foliage as well. Be prepared to dose supplements or feed heavy. I have many fishless systems in which I dose ammonia every day & liquid kelp concentrate every other day to promote macro algae growth.

Also know this, cooper & zinc are normal trace minerals in sea plants. Some seaweeds need iodine as do some corals like Xenia.

I use Seachem Flourite substrate which is heavy on the iron, a necessary mineral in coral and plants.
Thank you for the advice, so it wont hurt inverts lets say shrimp?

OP
OP
S

Silver34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to follow a gentleman on another forum ( reef central) who had a very successful 180 gallon seagrass tank. He had multiple types of seagrass. His name is Michael Hoaster and his tank build was in the invert/macroalgae topic. I think it was titled Carribean biotope seagrass tank. He took the tank down because of relocating, so you will need to go back 5 or 6 pages to get to his thread.
He used regular soil from his yard, along with sand. Of course don't use soil treated with pesticides or other chemicals.
Thank you, will check it out.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was thinking about a mangrove set up (never did it though) and was gonna try “Miracle Mud” (different brands call it different things, but refugium mud) capped with live sand (by capped I mean a thick layer of sand on top of the mud to hold it down and prevent it from being stirred into the water column.

Could consider making your own nutrient tabs so you have more control of the ingredients:

Not sure what fertilizer would be best, but might worth looking into

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Andrews_aquarium has a great build thread for this! He has some stargrass and turtlegrass in his tank.

OP
OP
S

Silver34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking about a mangrove set up (never did it though) and was gonna try “Miracle Mud” (different brands call it different things, but refugium mud) capped with live sand (by capped I mean a thick layer of sand on top of the mud to hold it down and prevent it from being stirred into the water column.

Could consider making your own nutrient tabs so you have more control of the ingredients:

Not sure what fertilizer would be best, but might worth looking into

Wonderful, great advice making my own root tabs i could control the ingridients and what gets into the tank.

OP
OP
S

Silver34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Andrews_aquarium has a great build thread for this! He has some stargrass and turtlegrass in his tank.
Great I'll be taking notes

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks the shout out!

I used a container of Walt Smith Fiji mud that was about .5” thick and then it was covered with sand. I’ve done this on multiple systems all with success.

Seems like the mud is finally gone, sold out everywhere. My next setup i’ll be using Miracle mud as it seems like the next best solution, i will go a bit thicker at about 1” then covered with sand.

I’ve had the best success with stargrass as well, my turtle grass hardly grows. i can maybe get a new leaf of turtle every 2-3 months where i can get 6-7 new star grass leave stalks in that time or more. I’ve also noticed that the star grass prefers lower light. it continues to grow into the shaded areas and when growing in shade produces much taller and larger leaves as well as grows faster.

october-6.jpeg

october-14.jpeg
october-10.jpeg

october-3.jpeg

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks the shout out!

I used a container of Walt Smith Fiji mud that was about .5” thick and then it was covered with sand. I’ve done this on multiple systems all with success.

Seems like the mud is finally gone, sold out everywhere. My next setup i’ll be using Miracle mud as it seems like the next best solution, i will go a bit thicker at about 1” then covered with sand.

I’ve had the best success with stargrass as well, my turtle grass hardly grows. i can maybe get a new leaf of turtle every 2-3 months where i can get 6-7 new star grass leave stalks in that time or more. I’ve also noticed that the star grass prefers lower light. it continues to grow into the shaded areas and when growing in shade produces much taller and larger leaves as well as grows faster.

october-6.jpeg

october-14.jpeg
october-10.jpeg

october-3.jpeg
Oh yeah I have a question
Is there a way to retroactively add this mud so I can grow some grass too?

Andrews_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah I have a question
Is there a way to retroactively add this mud so I can grow some grass too?
I mean you could move some sand and put into into a spot then cover with sand again but it’s absolutely gonna be cloudy for a day or so, You could add a polishing filter to speed up the process.

I’ve done that before but if you’re prepared to deal with the mess it brings for a day or two it’s not a big deal, just turn off all
flow, put the mud in a cup with tank water and go very slowly pouring it in.

If you’re trying to do a large area it’s gonna take along time and could be too much change happening to the tank. i’d recommend a smaller area where you know the grasses are going.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean you could move some sand and put into into a spot then cover with sand again but it’s absolutely gonna be cloudy for a day or so, You could add a polishing filter to speed up the process.

I’ve done that before but if you’re prepared to deal with the mess it brings for a day or two it’s not a big deal, just turn off all
flow, put the mud in a cup with tank water and go very slowly pouring it in.

If you’re trying to do a large area it’s gonna take along time and could be too much change happening to the tank. i’d recommend a smaller area where you know the grasses are going.
Sounds good, thanks!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back