Seachem PRIME To Remove Chloramines From Water OR Carbon Plus RODI Filter?

BRS

JSkeleton

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an interesting thought, and perhaps I did not think it through (which is why I'm asking here lol), but AquaticLife told me I should use one of those Carbon Plus filters (the ones that remove Chloramines) in an RODI Unit instead of normal Carbon filters to get rid of any Chloramines cause my City uses it in the water.

But that got me thinking...Seachem Prime remove both Chlorine and Chloramines, right? And since you need such a small dose to get the job done, and since the Carbon Plus RODI Filters are like 2-3 times the price of normal Carbon, would it not work and be cheaper to just dose Prime in your RODI Reservoir?

I guess the only question there, is will the Chloramines going through your RODI Membrane reduce it's lifespan?

I thought this was an interesting topic and was curious what everyone thought! :)

BRS
AquaCave Logo Banner

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The purpose of the carbon in the ro is to remove chlorine and chloramine so it doesnt destroy your revese osmosis membrane. The material its made of is sensitive to damage from chlorines. Your just protecting the mebrane. The mebrane does all the filtering. The sediment filter just protects the carbon from getting plugged up. The carbon prtects the membrane.

Byrongw

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS 4 stage value plus RODI system and moved somewhere that uses Chloramines in water treatment. BRS sells a ~$100 kit with two add-on carbon filters to upgrade precisely for this purpose. It adds a carbon filter at the beginning and a carbon filter at the end of the system. The pre-filter is to drastically reduce the amount of chloramines that enter into the RO membrane, and the post-filter is to further polish out trace chloramine that may have made it through the system.

They state the purpose for this upgrade is, as Cory said before, not only to filter out chloramines in general but also to pre-filter to preserve your RODI unit which is sensitive to chloramines. So I guess in theory you could dose the RODI water to treat for chloramines but if you're damaging the RODI system by not pre filtering might as well just get the upgrade as it'll preserve the more expensive RODI membranes while improving chloramine filtration. It'll save money in the long run by allowing the cheaper carbon filters to take the hit instead of the pricy RO. I know its a late reply just thought I'd add my 2c since I've been on a research kick over the last couple of days and maybe someone else will find this helpful. Let me know if I'm missing anything :)

Best!

Nutramar Foods

Byrongw

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS 4 stage value plus RODI system and moved somewhere that uses Chloramines in water treatment. BRS sells a ~$100 kit with two add-on carbon filters to upgrade precisely for this purpose. It adds a carbon filter at the beginning and a carbon filter at the end of the system. The pre-filter is to drastically reduce the amount of chloramines that enter into the RO membrane, and the post-filter is to further polish out trace chloramine that may have made it through the system.

They state the purpose for this upgrade is, as Cory said before, not only to filter out chloramines in general but also to pre-filter to preserve your RODI unit which is sensitive to chloramines. So I guess in theory you could dose the RODI water to treat for chloramines but if you're damaging the RODI system by not pre filtering might as well just get the upgrade as it'll preserve the more expensive RODI membranes while improving chloramine filtration. It'll save money in the long run by allowing the cheaper carbon filters to take the hit instead of the pricy RO. I know its a late reply just thought I'd add my 2c since I've been on a research kick over the last couple of days and maybe someone else will find this helpful. Let me know if I'm missing anything :)

Best!
Correction, pre=sediment post=deion

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction, pre=sediment post=deion
No. BOTH carbon filters go BEFORE your RO membrane - you will add ONE NEW canister before your membrane (so you have 2 carbons) and add the SECOND NEW canister at the end for a SECOND DI RESIN cartridge.

DJF

The key to a successful reef is to never leave
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree that carbon is always before the membrane (and after sediment filter)- just wanted to add, to address chloramines make sure to use “universal carbon” cartridges.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

AquaCave Logo Banner
Back