Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sea hare swell and looks like it’s gonna explode every time when it’s eating algea on the rocks . Is this normal?

3B8990CE-0BCA-4F5D-95D5-7581A96A2F50.jpeg CFCC46B2-8637-435F-8014-33D136911D25.jpeg 5C823C43-89CD-4466-8E56-2CEF0E2DF334.jpeg F2177118-DFE5-4391-B1BE-222F0FACDDD0.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
X

xiaoyuliang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,is it showing signs of splitting on topside of body ?
The swelling is on the front side. But it wil go back to normal when it’s now eating algae. But really quickly swell after touching/eating algea. And I do notice this one is not eating algea as fast as previous one. Also it’s a small one (~2 inches)

Top Shelf Aquatics

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes sign of dyeing, as far as nuke tank ,not sure of your species, size of tank,
normally dolabella do not nuke tank, jmo, let's ask for help ...
@Erin1971Texas ?
I'm not sure. I've had dolabellas and recall being warned they could "ink" the tank but I don't remember if that was supposed to be harmful.

Edit: from https://reefkeepingworld.com/dolabella-sea-hare-care/ ...
The Dolabella sea hare releases a purple ink substance if it’s startled. It’s a defense mechanism. It is safe for humans to touch. It will stain skin, though.

While this ink is not toxic to humans, it can harm your small fish. When the ink is concentrated in one area, it acts as a toxin in small fish.

If, at any time, your sea hare inks in your saltwater tank, clean the ink out immediately. Ink is released when sea hares die also. Remove a dead sea hare as soon as possible to avoid harm to any of your other fish.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. I've had dolabellas and recall being warned they could "ink" the tank but I don't remember if that was supposed to be harmful.

Edit: from https://reefkeepingworld.com/dolabella-sea-hare-care/ ...
The Dolabella sea hare releases a purple ink substance if it’s startled. It’s a defense mechanism. It is safe for humans to touch. It will stain skin, though.

While this ink is not toxic to humans, it can harm your small fish. When the ink is concentrated in one area, it acts as a toxin in small fish.

If, at any time, your sea hare inks in your saltwater tank, clean the ink out immediately. Ink is released when sea hares die also. Remove a dead sea hare as soon as possible to avoid harm to any of your other fish.
Edit again... Found a few other places that say the ink isn't toxic to the tank. Obviously though, any large dead critter can potentially affect water quality.

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Hanna
Back