Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eugene better get back to the rocks and stay away from powerheads, might have to put squirrel guards on them water looks better F8578DBF-BF53-4930-8279-1AF29C51EB88.jpegE4CF9058-8F45-4955-8AE0-5FC58E27140C.jpeg
Skimmate 4th cup

Top Shelf Aquatics

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried them twice over the years. First one did well for a month or so then died all of a sudden. Second did ok for a few days then started going to the top of the tank and died a few days later. Never trashed the tank at all. I don't think they are really meant to be long term inhabitants. More of a utilitarian creature. Use it for algae then rehome it to someone else with an algae problem.

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried them twice over the years. First one did well for a month or so then died all of a sudden. Second did ok for a few days then started going to the top of the tank and died a few days later. Never trashed the tank at all. I don't think they are really meant to be long term inhabitants. More of a utilitarian creature. Use it for algae then rehome it to someone else with an algae problem.
I'd tend to agree with this (same experience). I've read they can be sensitive to higher nitrate levels or swings. Right now I just have a massive abalone, which is kind of like a crawling shag carpet...

Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the advice, I may have to consider that, but I do love watching, I know coral frags will be an issue, hoping to have my lagoon up and cycled in 6 weeks, here’s hoping he doesn’t shred himself
I've never had issues with them getting sucked into any powerheads. They seem fairly resilient for the most part and are probably the most gentle with coral frags out of any of the inverts in my tank. I have a 4" wide trochus snail that can literally move rocks when he wants...

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had issues with them getting sucked into any powerheads. They seem fairly resilient for the most part and are probably the most gentle with coral frags out of any of the inverts in my tank. I have a 4" wide trochus snail that can literally move rocks when he wants...
Thanks very much, I was starting to think I messed up,
If you see the video, his fins never touched the blades but I got worried, these are only 925gph pumps too

AquaCave Logo Banner

ManWithAClam

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive had an overall good experience with sea hares, they are quite sensitive when first added to the aquarium and i too have lost a few to not adapting well to a new environment, ive owned mostly the blue spotted, (Bursatella Leachii) and ive found they are the hardest workers and they are also the easiest to breed, lifespan of about 4 months to a year. others ive owned are the Dolabella sea hare (most common) California sea hare, and a Flying sea hare (very similar to the one you have) yours looks to be a spotted sea hare (Aplysia dactylomela) they are one of the most likely to ink when disturbed, the blue spotted and dolabella do not produce ink so ive never encountered that problem. despite being sensitive animals, ive never had issues besides acclimation. i do recommend putting some guards on your powerhead though, aside from that i think sea hares are great part of the CUC and i recommend them to intermediate and advanced hobbyists.

OP
OP
docforestal

docforestal

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, tank cleared well after a little over an hour, eugene continues to hang on the glass but moving quite a bit(hoping he goes back to the rock) yest. and today i fed him a postage stamp sized piece of nori, holding it up to themouth and he gobbled it, so eating well

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
JBJAquarium.com
Back