Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking to hear from some of you that have had some schooling fish (3 or more) as I am considering options for what will likely be my last adds:

I have a 310g Planet and here is my current list of fish:

- XL Blue Tang
- XL Purple Tang
- Med Sized Yellow Tang x 2
- Melanarus Wrasse
- XMas Wrasse
- Green Coris Wrasse
- Six Line Wrasse
- Timor Wrasse
- Ocellaris Clown

World Wide Corals

AC1211

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis if you can get some that don’t have uronema. Anthias similar issue though not quite as prevalent as Chromis.
Be aware that depending on your area getting chromis without uronema is tough. I got lucky once. Only to have velvet get in on a coral. I had a nice group of 5 for a long while. My best advice is to get a group from the wholesaler then quarantine. They seem to adapt better from the wholesaler no matter the species.

Aside from that: in such a large tank, options exist with a group of 10 anthias for example that wouldn't otherwise so anthias are worth a try.

The established tangs and wrasse may prove to be an issue.

One suggestion: in a 310 gallon tank you probably can toss in a dozen or so different goby species and get some more movement.

I think a quarantined group of lyretail anthias or some other larger anthias is your best bet.

Avast
OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Chromis if you can get some that don’t have uronema. Anthias similar issue though not quite as prevalent as Chromis.
Thank you for the feedback. This is precisely why I posted this, because I have never heard of this until now.

Be aware that depending on your area getting chromis without uronema is tough. I got lucky once. Only to have velvet get in on a coral. I had a nice group of 5 for a long while. My best advice is to get a group from the wholesaler then quarantine. They seem to adapt better from the wholesaler no matter the species.

Aside from that: in such a large tank, options exist with a group of 10 anthias for example that wouldn't otherwise so anthias are worth a try.

The established tangs and wrasse may prove to be an issue.

One suggestion: in a 310 gallon tank you probably can toss in a dozen or so different goby species and get some more movement.

I think a quarantined group of lyretail anthias or some other larger anthias is your best bet.

The lyretail option has been on the top of my thoughts from the start. Specifically a male because of the red coloration. Not sure about how many males and females can be mixed together or if that is even an issue.

AC1211

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback. This is precisely why I posted this, because I have never heard of this until now.

The lyretail option has been on the top of my thoughts from the start. Specifically a male because of the red coloration. Not sure about how many males and females can be mixed together or if that is even an issue.
Usually I have always seen people do 1 male and however many females. I hear the 1 to 10 ratio works nicely. I have not kept them myself and have not worked with any tanks where they were kept in groups. I have a video somewhere of a school of 50 or so at an aquarium with only about 3 males. So that is some idea of the ratio.

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Usually I have always seen people do 1 male and however many females. I hear the 1 to 10 ratio works nicely. I have not kept them myself and have not worked with any tanks where they were kept in groups. I have a video somewhere of a school of 50 or so at an aquarium with only about 3 males. So that is some idea of the ratio.
awesome...thanks...I love the idea of adding 10. It would give the tank a great filling look with activity I believe

CLICK TO VIEW

maroun.c

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apogon leptacanthus, blue streak cardinalfish.
They form a close school and swim together all day. Their blue eye looks amazing under whiter light.
Very bad shippers though.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back