Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really new to reefing but used to keep LPS and softies with monties. Got crazy growth from everything and rarely tested anything. Never did that great with Acros the few times I put some in (surprise surprise). Fast forward to today and getting more serious about my tank after it crashed and limped along the last year or two. I'd like todo SPS and bought the Hana meters for NO3 and PO4 - the NO3 is 0 PPM and the PO4 had some reading (I don't recall). I do have some visible active algae growth. I started adding some Brightwell product to bring up the NO3 and it mentioned something about of it doesn't come up Carbon sources are low.....and at that point I realized I don't understand of know enough about these nutrients or the relationships to be dosing anything :).

So I am looking for some recommending reading and links to get me up to speed. Back in the day it was all about dosing Vodka to bring these numbers down (but that's old school and I probably really didn't pay attention to it, or understand all that well back then either). Fast forward to today where testing and knowledge is better. Looking for some sources to get me up to speed - thanks in advance.

Top Shelf Aquatics

chipchipmofo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe read through @jda 's thoughts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My recommendation is 2-10 ppm nitrate and 0.02 to 0.1 ppm phosphate, with readings higher than that range better than readings below it.

These have more:

Top Shelf Aquatics

Christopher Poore

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley How consistently do you recommend testing No3 and Po4. And how much can the measurements vary between tests to be considered in an acceptable range? How do we considered "CONSISTENCY"

Meaning if I should test weekly, one week im at .03 po4 & 3 no3, and the next week I'm at .05 po4 and 4.5 no3, should my alarm bells go off to make changes?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley How consistently do you recommend testing No3 and Po4. And how much can the measurements vary between tests to be considered in an acceptable range? How do we considered "CONSISTENCY"

Meaning if I should test weekly, one week im at .03 po4 & 3 no3, and the next week I'm at .05 po4 and 4.5 no3, should my alarm bells go off to make changes?

No. IMO, if you are in a good range with once a week testing, that’s fine and no more testing is needed that week. Exact values are not needed.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
I

IPT

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great reading! Very informative.

Ok, so via my Hanna testers I am at 0.0. I guess increased feeding is called for on my end. I might even start with some of the Brightwell products. Seems that the trick will be finding the balance after having the surplus to bring levels up. What might also be interesting is if the No3 an PO4 start moving at different speeds.

I recently started some pellet foods (1-2x a day), and once a day I'll feed some brine shrimp, Brine shrimp with spirulina, or mysis. I have also been using Benefeds and AB+ each twice a week. It's a 120ga with a 40 gal sump (about half full). It was a well established tank, BUT, I recently made a lot of changes removing the sandbed and bleaching some rock (get rid of Velonia).

Open to thoughts, ideas, or suggestions.

MrGisonni

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Interesting read..... And listen to @Randy Holmes-Farley

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Printed Reef - Custom Reef Accessories
Back