Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had a solid answer to this, I am truly unsure on additional fish beyond the list above

I love angelfish look but I heard they are a nightmare with corals
a standard 180 gallon tank is 72x24x24. if you are unsure about fish selection, this gives you a big enough tank size to add either many smaller fish later on or a few larger ones.

In terms of rock, i prefer dry for the base as Lost said as it is mostly hidden and much less expensive. Rock these days is no where near what it was in the early 2000's. But you can still get some decent stuff off rock such as KP Aquatics. i would recommend getting rock from a few verifiable sources. I would also recommend placing in your system and ghost feeding before adding fish to help prevent any types of fish disease that may come in on the rock, specifically ICH. This can have devastating effects. It is typically referred to as a "fallow" period. Hitch hikers are common on wild rock, but most are not that bad, and a good once or twice over and a hyper salinity dip can eliminate most.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We disagree here.

Most live rock at the stores is recently dead rock that is thrown in to a saltwater bath with existing rock and MAYBE bottled bacteria.

These systems are often not fed, and if they are tied into the entire system, you don't want it as you'll need to fallow the rock.

Live rock loses diversity. The longer it's out of the ocean. It comes in fully loaded and over time some die off or are out competed, eventually leaving a few dozen major types.

Fresh rock being back in the different strains that over the years have petered out.
I did not mean the local fish store for live rock, only for shape. If he can view it and sees what he would like from the rock.. It's a good way to start. Islands, shelves.

Now, when I said if he knew someone. I meant someone in the hobby selling live rock from their system. Kind of like yours as an example.

We used to let live rock sit on boats and docks to dry out. This was where long curring times came into play. The stuff from kp aquatics, the gulf, they have premium rock which is not left out to die and dry.

Premium rock is very expensive compared to, just their live rock.

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a standard 180 gallon tank is 72x24x24. if you are unsure about fish selection, this gives you a big enough tank size to add either many smaller fish later on or a few larger ones.

In terms of rock, i prefer dry for the base as Lost said as it is mostly hidden and much less expensive. Rock these days is no where near what it was in the early 2000's. But you can still get some decent stuff off rock such as KP Aquatics. i would recommend getting rock from a few verifiable sources. I would also recommend placing in your system and ghost feeding before adding fish to help prevent any types of fish disease that may come in on the rock, specifically ICH. This can have devastating effects. It is typically referred to as a "fallow" period. Hitch hikers are common on wild rock, but most are not that bad, and a good once or twice over and a hyper salinity dip can eliminate most.
I am limited by the corner it is going into, so nothing larger than 5 ft, I can either order a 120-130 offline that is 60x2x2 or order from the LFS 120 which is 48x2x2. I think I am leaning towards the 48x2x2 as it seems the impact is minimal between the two

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
last time I cured I put all my rock in a brute can with water pump heater and let it run covered for like a week if I remember right (sorry this was years ago)
That, in addition to monitoring ammonia and changing water is still a good practice.

Curing in the tank with light will allow you to keep more of the macro light dependent organisms.

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like KP has the following options
1681925042177.png

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That, in addition to monitoring ammonia and changing water is still a good practice.

Curing in the tank with light will allow you to keep more of the macro light dependent organisms.
I had heard some people subscribing to the idea of keeping lights off for the first few months to avoid bad growth or is this an old thought?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am limited by the corner it is going into, so nothing larger than 5 ft, I can either order a 120-130 offline that is 60x2x2 or order from the LFS 120 which is 48x2x2. I think I am leaning towards the 48x2x2 as it seems the impact is minimal between the two
You can also go custom, to your specifications, often around the price of ready made, off the shelf tanks.

@Joe Glass Cages is a great contact in this field whether he builds the tank or not. Their website alone has a lot of styles and designs to get your creative juices flowing.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard some people subscribing to the idea of keeping lights off for the first few months to avoid bad growth or is this an old thought?
That's a dry rock thing.

Dry rock goes through an extended period of algae blooms and die offs until it matures and is seasoned.

With live rock there is no need for that.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like KP has the following options View attachment 3115917
I went all premium on my first order. Half and half premium and starter on my second.

Given the chance, I would split it 50/50 again. The major difference i saw was the absence of macro algae, on the starter rock.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like KP has the following options View attachment 3115917
This is what will happen when you mix live and dead rock. They actually have my old testimony on record. All the stuff on top is from kp, I could circle every piece I got. BUt, the purple rock.
60g.jpg

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd still give 2 weeks of monitoring the rock. Same as always, you see black stuff forming (not sponge).. Scrub that off outside of the tank. Doesn't need to be in a brute.

That's a dry rock thing.

Dry rock goes through an extended period of algae blooms and die offs until it matures and is seasoned.

With live rock there is no need for that.
the rock you guys are suggesting though is the premium rock yes?

I think @Lost in the Sauce their directions kind of suggest what you were saying also, which is to dep the live rock 2-3 times in a salt mix of 1.035-1.040 for 1 minute at a time

Nutramar Foods

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think @Lost in the Sauce their directions kind of suggest what you were saying also, which is to dep the live rock 2-3 times in a salt mix of 1.035-1.040 for 1 minute at a time
at least 1- 5 lbs premium for 20 gallons, the rest what ever you want.

I should have made that a heavy statement in my original post to you. The premium rock I got, it never had 1 spot of algae issues. The other rocks grew algae over the course of 1 year.

Slime and dinos are a different set of problems.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Starting fresh, I would go half premium rock, half aquaculture starter rock due to the price difference. The aquaculture stutter rock has less cool and interesting things to look at. Those are the pieces that can easily be busted up to make different shapes and transition for your aquascape. They can also be used as the base layer which will not be seen.

Goaway

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yuh, well you know what....

someone would eventually...

They never gave me plants on mine :*( I feel cheated!
You see that big sponge up top?

There were a host of cool little shrimps using it as a home before the hyper dip.

I wish I was able to keep them in there.

Avast

vittpsu21

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so something like 18 lbs of premium and then the rest (say 80 lbs-- or do I need less?) of either dry or starter?)

seems like stock for them is pretty limited so I will have to keep an eye on the site, they have 3 lbs of premium available atm lol

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so something like 18 lbs of premium and then the rest (say 80 lbs-- or do I need less?) of either dry or starter?)

seems like stock for them is pretty limited so I will have to keep an eye on the site, they have 3 lbs of premium available atm lol
ProTip.. Don't go from the website. They never update it. Call them a week before you want to order. They will dive for what you need if they don't have it on hand.if you Wait for them to update the website. You'll be waiting forever.

Philip at KP is very helpful.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back