+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of adding a sand sifting star to my tank, but had a question before I do.

I have 3 lobophyllia and 1 trachyphillia of good size on my sand bed. They are doing well and so I am assuming that their placement is correct.

Will a sand sifting star have any effect on these corals? Is there any chance that it climbs on and damages these corals? Do I need to consider relocating these corals if I add a star?

thanks in advance

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of adding a sand sifting star to my tank, but had a question before I do.

I have 3 lobophyllia and 1 trachyphillia of good size on my sand bed. They are doing well and so I am assuming that their placement is correct.

Will a sand sifting star have any effect on these corals? Is there any chance that it climbs on and damages these corals? Do I need to consider relocating these corals if I add a star?

thanks in advance
My sand sifter seems to move with very little force, looks like it’s floating when on top of the sand. And then somehow buries itself in the sand without disturbing anything.

DrMMI

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be sure you have a deep and very established sand bed. These guys will completely wipe out every living organism in a sand bed in a few months and then slowly starve to death. I would never put one in my reef ever again.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be sure you have a deep and very established sand bed. These guys will completely wipe out every living organism in a sand bed in a few months and then slowly starve to death. I would never put one in my reef ever again.
Good to know. How could you tell whether the sea starved rather then being short lived?

BRS
Nutramar Foods

Uncle99

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine dropped an arm on a Trac, and left that impression in his flesh, however, in a month it did repair. Assume it was a mistake?

Never been able to keep a sand sifting star more than a month or two, looks like he’s so efficient in cleaning, he strips the sand.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
PremiumAquatics.com
Back