Sand Sifting Goby for a Fluval Evo 13.5?

slaag

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, I would like a sand sifting goby for my fluval 13.5. Are there specific recommendations as to what would be appropriate? Would a "recommended 30 gallon" goby be okay if its small? Would its growth be limited by a smaller tank and thus be okay? I have seen varying sites say different things on what species are appropriate for different size tanks.

Thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifting gobies often starve to death in captivity even in larger tanks due to their specialized diet of benthic microorganisms. They often don't take/eat minimal amounts of prepared foods. It can work, but I'd say proceed with extreme caution

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
slaag

slaag

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehhhh I wouldn't. You should look at nassarius snails and a conch. Fish growth won't be limited by tank size.
I was worried someone was going to say this. My Peppermint shrimp seems to have taken a liking to Nassarius snails and has attacked and killed the two I once had. I guess I'll have to replace... Maybe he wont like the conch. He seems to leave the Trochus and Astria snails alone.

OP
OP
slaag

slaag

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One conch in your tank would do wonders. I'm not sure how the shrimp would react to it, but when I say my conch has been the best thing for my sand in 4 years, it's not hyperbole. In my 13.5 it handles the whole sand bed on its own
What is the species? Thanks a lot!

Top Shelf Aquatics

olonmv

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One conch in your tank would do wonders. I'm not sure how the shrimp would react to it, but when I say my conch has been the best thing for my sand in 4 years, it's not hyperbole. In my 13.5 it handles the whole sand bed on its own
Soon as my pistol shrimp kicks the bucket, I’m getting a conch!

tydeck

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conch’s are amazing. I have one in my 15 gallon. Keeps the sand amazingly clean.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried someone was going to say this. My Peppermint shrimp seems to have taken a liking to Nassarius snails and has attacked and killed the two I once had. I guess I'll have to replace... Maybe he wont like the conch. He seems to leave the Trochus and Astria snails alone.
Now we learned the lesson on peppermints! Sorry for your snails, im a huge advocate against peppermints. They will find the other snails in time. I would recommend a conch, either fighter or tiger variety. Very good at moving sand around. but be aware, no snails are ultimately safe when peppermint shrimp are around.

OP
OP
slaag

slaag

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now we learned the lesson on peppermints! Sorry for your snails, im a huge advocate against peppermints. They will find the other snails in time. I would recommend a conch, either fighter or tiger variety. Very good at moving sand around. but be aware, no snails are ultimately safe when peppermint shrimp are around.
The thing with the pep is that he absolutely destroys the aiptasia that sometimes appears. Gone in a day.

OP
OP
slaag

slaag

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the conch clean this mess up?
EBE804C1-F3F4-4042-9DF7-C522B4F9F515.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's bizzare. I've never heard of a peppermint shrimp doing that lol. Did you see it killing the snails or just eating their dead bodies?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
slaag

slaag

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's bizzare. I've never heard of a peppermint shrimp doing that lol. Did you see it killing the snails or just eating their dead bodies?

I watched the Pep attack the snails multiple times in the morning before my lights went on, and physically moved the snails to get them away from the Pep. Had to do this multiple times over a couple month period, then one morning I woke up and the snail was upside down and i could barely see the snail in the shell, i flipped him over and it never moved again. A couple of weeks later, the same thing happened, except this time, the pep was "inside" the snails shell picking away at it.

The snails were healthy and doing a great job. It's been about two weeks and now the sand bed is looking a mess. I've manually turned it over a few times to try and slow it down before I pick something else up, which it looks like I will be doing tonight.

RZGreef

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conch in my Evo 13.5 that I've had for a few months seems to do very little for the sand, mostly staying buried and sifting very little. The ceriths I have seem to be handling it more from what I can see. I was thinking about getting a second since everyone says how great they are for the sand, but was worried about then not having enough for them to eat. Perhaps mine's just a deadbeat. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Southwest Aquaculture - a coral lover's dream!
Back