Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it looks like there is a notch out of the “armpit” and one of the tips of the arms is missing. Could Bristle worms cause harm? I often see him on the glass so I thought that was normal.

tank mates:

2 clown
2 murderous cardinals (black/gray)
1 damels
1 anename (sorry for the spelling)
1 dowarf angle
1 dragonet
1 knottyback
2 emerald crabs

I did get new coral but I don’t think that could do anything (beginning corals)

75 gal tank

DA0AD20E-CE30-451B-BD4B-AD8B8CC288F4.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

LiLinka

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a bacterial issue. I’m not 100% sure though. If it is, it causes parts of the starfish’s legs to dissolve. There is no cure other than hopping for the best. If he does fight off the infection his legs should heal pretty quickly. He could be on the glass due to lack of food in substrate and he is looking for stuff to eat on the glass. I wouldn’t stress it too much but definitely keep an eye on him. Hope this helps!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is most likely dying/starving because he depleted all the nutrients or food in the sand. Unfortunately it’s very common with these little guys. Water quality does not help the issue either. I’d try and target feed him and monitor. But the prognosis is not good especially since he’s in a new tank with not enough food in the sand these guys do best in super large tanks with deep nutrient rich sand beds at least a year old and even then can be prone to starvation.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Ireland.Escada

Ireland.Escada

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is most likely dying/starving because he depleted all the nutrients or food in the sand. Unfortunately it’s very common with these little guys. Water quality does not help the issue either. I’d try and target feed him and monitor. But the prognosis is not good especially since he’s in a new tank with not enough food in the sand these guys do best in super large tanks with deep nutrient rich sand beds at least a year old and even then can be prone to starvation.
The tank is over a year old. I got the tank last year, but it was up for 10 years before I took it to my house. I do add food once a month for my dragonet and there is been a ton of algae issues.

any advise on what I should purchase for food? Should I put him in my fish cage to try and target food him?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is over a year old. I got the tank last year, but it was up for 10 years before I took it to my house. I do add food once a month for my dragonet and there is been a ton of algae issues.

any advise on what I should purchase for food? Should I put him in my fish cage to try and target food him?
Meaty foods and plankton! Try raw shrimp or krill soaked in plankton and gently place him on it or bury some in the sand for him to find. It doesn’t hurt to add some bottled pods either. Also test your parameters and address any issues.

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The age of the tank really doesn't matter as long as you feed him.

AS

SpunCoral

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sandsifting starfish suddenly start deteriorating after about a month in my tank. He didnt make it another week once it started.
I've got a nutrient rich system, and my sandbed was looking a bit dirty so I figured he could help me out and have plenty of food to eat. Not sure what happened in my case. Best of luck!

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AquaNerd
Back