Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got two brute cans, one each for RODI and saltwater.

For the RODI I'm planning on installing the float valve that came with the RODI unit, along with a simple pump and tubing to pump the water out for both saltwater mixing and top offs.

For the saltwater bin I plan to get an inexpensive powerhead and heater along with a similar pump setup for pumping water out.

Don't thing I'm missing anything? Are there any precautions I need to take with a heater to make sure it doesn't melt the plastic brute can?

Thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I did not heat or stir my new salt water, but if you use it for large changes at once, that is likely best (at least the heating).

Mixes with organics (such as reef Crystals) may need stirring while others, such as normal IO, do not.

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got two brute cans, one each for RODI and saltwater.

For the RODI I'm planning on installing the float valve that came with the RODI unit, along with a simple pump and tubing to pump the water out for both saltwater mixing and top offs.

For the saltwater bin I plan to get an inexpensive powerhead and heater along with a similar pump setup for pumping water out.

Don't thing I'm missing anything? Are there any precautions I need to take with a heater to make sure it doesn't melt the plastic brute can?

Thanks!
Sounds like you got it all sorted already. The only thing I can think to add (that you didn't mention) would be an inline shut off for the water feeding your RODI system. The float valves work fantastic for ensuring the RODI doesn't overfill your container but they aren't full proof so being able to shut off the flow once your container is full is just a secondary protection from flooding.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
dave01282000

dave01282000

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify...when you say inline shutoff, do you mean a simple valve or is it the automated redundancy tool to back up the float valve?

I see one listed on BRS that looks like it would be a good backup.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NooPsyche CORAL LIGHT
Back