Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of certain rainbow fish being able to acclimate to saltwater. Although I am not able to find a source to purchase them and don’t have the space to acclimate them fully from freshwater to salt… anyone know where I can find them?
Every time I Google search them I only find freshwater only.

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanotaenia?

Never heard of them in saltwater. Some fish can acclimate to it but they don't always survive long term or have a good reason to be in a saltwater tank. They're not as used to coral stings and the food. Can and will survive in saltwater are different.

Mollies ik are decent in saltwater cause they can eat some of the algae that grows in it without touching the coral, and breeds for free feeders, making their value to try higher. Rainbow fish if its the one I'm thinking of I'm not sure what they'd add besides needing a more passive environment and lower flow.

Steve and his Animals

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a few "rainbowfish" in the genus Pseudomugil that live in brackish, typically P. signifer and P. cyanodorsalis. These are very small, short lived fish that live in large groups, very flashy males. I've never seen signifer in saltwater, but I've known a few people to acclimate cyanodorsalis to nano tanks. Unfortunately, cyanodorsalis is short lived, but easy to breed.

OP
OP
AlgaeLove

AlgaeLove

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen people keep neon blue eyed rainbows but I’m just not sure where to acquire them. Lol even acclimated to brackish I’m not sure. I’ve seen a few people keep them in salt water for sure.

Nutramar Foods

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a few "rainbowfish" in the genus Pseudomugil that live in brackish, typically P. signifer and P. cyanodorsalis. These are very small, short lived fish that live in large groups, very flashy males. I've never seen signifer in saltwater, but I've known a few people to acclimate cyanodorsalis to nano tanks. Unfortunately, cyanodorsalis is short lived, but easy to breed.
P. signifer and P. cyanodorsalis both work for this adaptation to saltwater - as mentioned, this has been done multiple times with P. cyanodorsalis; I've only heard of this being done with P. signifer in a lab setting, but they handle marine conditions fine. The higher salinity does interfere with their shoaling behavior and "conspecific chemical cues" receptivity though - it seems the higher the salinity goes, the weaker their chemical sensory abilities become.

I don't know where to get P. cyanodorsalis at the moment (short of asking your LFS to order you some through Quality Marine), but P. signifer is available from quite a few places.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back