Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently setup a nano reef tank after years of interest and being freshwater. Earlier today I made 25 litres of RO water and added a heater and pump ready to use for a water change. I added 1kg of h2ocean salt following the instructions, I came back an hour later to check the level and it is only reading 1.007, I normally use a kilo to make my water 1.025. Is there anything obvious that will cause such low salinity levels? I am using a new bucket of salt that I mixed before using
Thanks

AquaCave Logo Banner

Rubblereefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some salts take way more than an hour
while I agree that salt can take more than an hour to fully mix, if he’s using the proper amount of salt with a heater and a pump, it should be reading way higher than that by now. I suspect either your refractometer or whatever scale you’re using to weigh the salt is incorrect. Any chance your scale is set to lbs?

Nutramar Foods

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1kg of salt into that volume of water is about right. Even if it's not fully mixed, it should be a lot higher than 1.007. A few things I can think. It sounds like you added salt to water, and not water to salt so it wouldn't be that.

-testing error. Clean all your droppers and refractometer with RODI, flush with water to be tested, dry them off and test again.
-Did you dump the whole pile of salt at once or shake it in slowly? Any chance it's all in the bottom in a lump?

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1kg of salt into that volume of water is about right. Even if it's not fully mixed, it should be a lot higher than 1.007. A few things I can think. It sounds like you added salt to water, and not water to salt so it wouldn't be that.

-testing error. Clean all your droppers and refractometer with RODI, flush with water to be tested, dry them off and test again.
-Did you dump the whole pile of salt at once or shake it in slowly? Any chance it's all in the bottom in a lump?
I cleaned my refractometer and made sure it was calibrated to 0 with ro water, when I got the low reading I check my refractometer with my tank water and that read at1.025 so that is working.
I slowly added the salt to the mixing container over a couple of minutes to make sure it was distributed evenly. I have a pump running at the bottom and when I added it it was all free and nothing stuck together.

OP
OP
LxHowler

LxHowler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while I agree that salt can take more than an hour to fully mix, if he’s using the proper amount of salt with a heater and a pump, it should be reading way higher than that by now. I suspect either your refractometer or whatever scale you’re using to weigh the salt is incorrect. Any chance your scale is set to lbs?
My scales read in grams and kilos. I check the calibration of my refractometer after getting the reading and it read 0 with ro water and 1.025 when I tested my tank water so my refractometer is working correctly

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back