Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep your equipment from failing due to salt creep? I’m looking for ideas after my latest failure
51977EA3-A8F1-4EE7-98ED-07C5F9421A54.jpeg

Corals.com

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 30 years of reefing, I have never had that happen. The trick is to keep the electronics out of the sump area, and in a seperate area thats not in the stand with the sump.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Mark Whitaker

Mark Whitaker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 30 years of reefing, I have never had that happen. The trick is to keep the electronics out of the sump area, and in a seperate area thats not in the stand with the sump.
See that’s the crazy part… I don’t have a sump, everything is either in a hood, or hanging off the back. The electrical stuff was under the stand and behind the tank.. here is a picture from when I was setting up.
BC99DE74-A8EB-4FEE-BE4E-2494B36840B0.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had water run down a cord once and the bar caught fire. Thats how I learned to use drip loops on all my wiring, a simple drip loop will prevent a fire.

But should not have any problem with saltcreep, it should be very minimal saltcreep. Sounds like you should have a look at what is splashing in your system and correct it to minimize the splashing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One old trick is a drip loop where any electric line coming out of the water has a low point and then goes up again to allow water to drip off rather than follow the cord down to the socket.
'

OP
OP
Mark Whitaker

Mark Whitaker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had water run down a cord once and the bar caught fire. Thats how I learned to use drip loops on all my wiring, a simple drip loop will prevent a fire.

But should not have any problem with saltcreep, it should be very minimal saltcreep. Sounds like you should have a look at what is splashing in your system and correct it to minimize the splashing
That makes sense, I have a red sea gyre making random waves, a UV pump, carbon reactor, lime water dose line, and a protein skimmer hanging on the back. No micro bubbles, but my fish and coral (the small bit I do have) are indo-pacific so my tank runs at around 78 degrees Fahrenheit. I think my biggest issue is high evaporation rate. I use loops, but everything is under the water line.

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back