Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed My salinity is around 1.018 and i don't own a RODI unit yet so I have no way of raising it since it's Christmas Eve and I have no idea if any stores will be open tomorrow, I have about 3 gallons of RO water in a jug so I might be able to mix salt water should I get my hands on some salt. the tank I'm worried about is a 20 gallon with a sump/refugium, what should I do?! Should I be worried or will it be fine come Monday?

Nutramar Foods

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine till Monday my friend.
One thing to let it come up slowly is shut ATO off or if you do it manually just don't top off.
Have a great Christmas and be the first on Monday at your LFS.

AS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd want to raise it slowly anyway, but one way to start is to add a little bit of salt to a sump if you think it will dissolve there before getting to the tank.

OP
OP
Kaiser

Kaiser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been raising it slowly but I noticed something off about what my lfs was telling me and they basically won't admit to the fact that their own refractometer is off, so I happen to be topping off with 1.016 water now.... no idea what to do cause I can't really get saltwater from them now since it's lower than my own salinity which is at 1.019 now....

AquaCave Logo Banner

polyps707

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure your salinity instrument is accurate and you can always scoop some aquarium water and add aquarium salt to that and mix well and slowly add it to your sump. Make sure your auto top off is off and your return pump doesn't run dry:) try keeping an emergency back up of RODI and salt:) I'm sure that's what your plan is though:) have fun!

OP
OP
Kaiser

Kaiser

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya believe me my instrument has been recalibrated 3 times using the 35ppt fluid since then, i like to make sure it's 100% accurate, but this whole fiasco made me go nuts, either I'm calibrating it wrong or they have no idea what they are doing when it comes to their refractometer. They kept claiming their refractometer was accurate because they just opened the box two days before, but the water in my quarantine that i just restarted a week ago using their water was around 1.023 according to my refractometer, while the water I picked up yesterday measured at 1.016, and my reef water is 1.019 according to me but it's 1.023-1.024 according to them. I don't know what to believe anymore lol. I'm going to go pick up salt in about an hour so hopefully I can get my salinity back up

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Cultivated Reef
Back