Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to salt water and mixing my first batch and I'm using Aquaforest salt. It states that the temperature should be around 75, mix vigorously for 15 minutes until clear. I have 16 liters of RODI water, the water is at 75.3 and I have a powerhead at the bottom of my pail. It's not 100% clear yet, but after 15 minutes I tested with my calibrated refractomneterand the reading was at 1.035. I cleaned and recalibrate the refractometer and got the same results.

If the salt isn't fully mixed will the salinty reading be too low because of not being dissolved or too high because of salt in the water.

I'm planning and leaving it with the heater and powerhead over night before testing again. Am I on the right track or should I got rid of the water and start again?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nutramar Foods

CasperOe

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to salt water and mixing my first batch and I'm using Aquaforest salt. It states that the temperature should be around 75, mix vigorously for 15 minutes until clear. I have 16 liters of RODI water, the water is at 75.3 and I have a powerhead at the bottom of my pail. It's not 100% clear yet, but after 15 minutes I tested with my calibrated refractomneterand the reading was at 1.035. I cleaned and recalibrate the refractometer and got the same results.

If the salt isn't fully mixed will the salinty reading be too low because of not being dissolved or too high because of salt in the water.

I'm planning and leaving it with the heater and powerhead over night before testing again. Am I on the right track or should I got rid of the water and start again?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Don't get rid of it, just add some more RO to the mix until you have the desired salinity you're looking for! :) Take note until next time so that you know exactly how much salt to add..

You could bring a batch with you next time you visit your LFS and have them test it as well- to make sure that 1. youre doing it right and 2. youre refractometer is working as it should.

Happy reefing!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah just add some more rodi water, you won’t need to add much, you don’t say how much water you are making, for around 6g you probably will only need to add a measuring jug full, if you add too much just add a little extra salt.
The salinity I found is normally stable after a few minutes, so mix for a few minutes then check.

A heater will help it clear faster, but if you are not using the salt water straight away, no need to heat it, just mix for longer, I like to mix for a good few hours anyway, but if using straight away, heating would be good as you want the new water to match the tank water when you add it.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aqua SD
Back