Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up more salt and RO/DI water at my LFS. I checked the salinity with my refractometer and it said it was 1.030, they told me it was 1.025. They used a very expensive salinity checker so I’m assuming there’s is more accurate then mine, so the problem is the salinity of my tank, with my refactometer it says it’s 1.026. I don’t have corrals, nor fish. I only have two toures snails and a hermit crab.

Should I set my refractometer to the LFS water? I calibrated my refractometer with a solution I bought off Amazon and it said to calibrate it to 35ppt. Did I calibrate my refractometer wrong? This is probably the most confusing thing I’ve done so far with my tank.

Thanks in advanced <3

Older photo of my tank

8601F0A3-12AB-4D0D-9C55-F698DC488AE1.jpeg

Avast
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Spenc_

Spenc_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk i make my own for this very reason.
D
Did you calculate it again before use? I would trust my own test over the lfs
I have been making my own as well, thought I’d just buy some instead. I follow the instructions on it and mix 1/2 cup with a gallon of water. How much does the temperature affect the reading?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont follow the directions anymor. It is a feel. I know to test when it starts to get murky. Lol or cloudy.
Thats good that you can make your own. I would test rodi water. Get 0. Test my tank. Adjust my new sw and than do my wc. Most refractometers come with atc now. Auto temp change. I think thats what atc is. Lol. Change or controller. Lol!
D

CLICK TO VIEW

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I set my refractometer to the LFS water?
No, don't do that. Refractometers drift, and some people calibrate their every time they use it. I think that's a bit much, but do calibrate mine with 35ppt solution every week.

After many, many dumb errors, I also bought glass hydrometers, inlcuding one from Tropic Marin, thanks to [HASH=37961]#reefinmike[/HASH] . They're big and bulky and awkward to use (they really do need to be put into a graduated cylinder or some type of flask for an accurate reading), but they never drift and never need to be calibrated. Best thing I ever did for my tanks.

Nutramar Foods

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blow your.rock off with a good turkey baster bro. Do a wc and add some fish and nice size clean up crew. They have 6 to 8 months of catching up to do. I add fish before cuc. Thats just me though. U got this!
D

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back