Sacrificial Algae Rock

W00F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I noticed every new rock or anything I put in my tank is a target for algae. I understand enough to know why; that’s not my point though.

Has anyone thought of putting a big rock or surfaces inside the display tank in order for the algae and nutrients to collect instead of on the showpiece rocks? When it gets too ugly, you swap it out for another then hydrogen peroxide the algae covered rock and let dry.

I thought it might be helpful for some situations where the filters etc are not enough for nutrients removal. Maybe a nano tank that only has one filter sock or during an algae war. It’s kinda a similar concept to socks and Chaeto.

What do you experts think?

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Even in my system putting a new piece in still ends up with it becoming covered in a rusty colored coating. It’s a natural process and it goes away.

If it doesn’t, then you have a clean up crew issue or a nutrient issue

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey everyone,

I noticed every new rock or anything I put in my tank is a target for algae. I understand enough to know why; that’s not my point though.

Has anyone thought of putting a big rock or surfaces inside the display tank in order for the algae and nutrients to collect instead of on the showpiece rocks? When it gets too ugly, you swap it out for another then hydrogen peroxide the algae covered rock and let dry.

I thought it might be helpful for some situations where the filters etc are not enough for nutrients removal. Maybe a nano tank that only has one filter sock or during an algae war. It’s kinda a similar concept to socks and Chaeto.

What do you experts think?
Are you saying only the one new rock takes on algae and the other rocks don’t at the same time?

If so, I’d like to buy your magic rock

IMG_0423.jpeg

OP
OP
W00F

W00F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying only the one new rock takes on algae and the other rocks don’t at the same time?

If so, I’d like to buy your magic rock

IMG_0423.jpeg
I’m saying the rock takes the brunt of the algae. It’s a magnet. My kids like bubble algae so sometimes I put in a rock while P & N are low and it produces bubbles 9/10. After awhile other algae begins to take hold too.

It’s taking a lot of nutrients relative to the tank size I would say.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m saying the rock takes the brunt of the algae. It’s a magnet. My kids like bubble algae so sometimes I put in a rock while P & N are low and it produces bubbles 9/10. After awhile other algae begins to take hold too.

It’s taking a lot of nutrients relative to the tank size I would say.
The algae grows on any surface it can that receives light. Of course it grows fastest on surfaces that are close to sterile but unless something else is inhibiting it from growing in a certain place, it'll grow there too. It isn't selective. If you mean to say youre encouraging algae to grow on a certain rock for nutrient export, I understand. It sounds like you believe the algae will choose to grow on that one rock instead of others though. Algae will happily grow anywhere it can.

OP
OP
W00F

W00F

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae grows on any surface it can that receives light. Of course it grows fastest on surfaces that are close to sterile but unless something else is inhibiting it from growing in a certain place, it'll grow there too. It isn't selective. If you mean to say youre encouraging algae to grow on a certain rock for nutrient export, I understand. It sounds like you believe the algae will choose to grow on that one rock instead of others though. Algae will happily grow anywhere it can.
That’s exactly right. A way of nutrient transport and the rock being sterile would promote algae growth.

I guess people with large sumps don’t need another nutrient removal method but I can see it potentially useful for AIO or nano tanks. Especially the tiny nano.

Thanks for the responses

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back