Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took it apart to clean it and noticed rust under the magnet. I didn't see any rust on the magnet itself. I did an ICP test recently and there were no elevated metals. Should I just keep rolling with it and keep an eye on it?
20220914_102851.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Nutramar Foods

Pod_01

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took it apart to clean it and noticed rust under the magnet. I didn't see any rust on the magnet itself. I did an ICP test recently and there were no elevated metals. Should I just keep rolling with it and keep an eye on it?View attachment 2827362
Just out of curiosity are you using GFO? Also is there rust on the magnetic portion of the spinner?
Sometimes magnets can attract iron particles in the water and make it seem they are rusting while something else is the source… My suggestion is to send e-mail with pictures to Ecotech and see what they recommend.

OP
OP
exnisstech

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity are you using GFO? Also is there rust on the magnetic portion of the spinner?
Sometimes magnets can attract iron particles in the water and make it seem they are rusting while something else is the source… My suggestion is to send e-mail with pictures to Ecotech and see what they recommend.
I have not used gfo in years. No rust on the magnet itself which I found surprising. I have a second one running and it doesn't have any rust. It's out of warranty so I probably won't bother reaching out to ecotech.

Is the magnet warped or cracked at all?

Magnet is fine that I can see and doesn't even have any rust on it.

I have a spare wet side so I'll clean this one up and dedicate it as a temporary spare to use when the others are being cleaned.

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not used gfo in years. No rust on the magnet itself which I found surprising. I have a second one running and it doesn't have any rust. It's out of warranty so I probably won't bother reaching out to ecotech.

Magnet is fine that I can see and doesn't even have any rust on it.

I have a spare wet side so I'll clean this one up and dedicate it as a temporary spare to use when the others are being cleaned.
Contact them anyway, at least they may offer a discount on a new wetside? I'm pretty sure when I contacted them about mine it was past warranty and I just had to pay shipping.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the magnet isn't swollen or cracked, doubtful the rust came from the wetside. Like stated above, it could have just pulled a bunch of iron from the system in some way.

Rust isn't inherently bad for a system just because it's rust. GFO is glorified rust particles. Most tanks actually benefit from a little iron and other trace metals.

With all that said, hit up Ecotech and see what they say. They have amazing customer service and may offer a new wetside for super cheap.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back