Run return pump without screen/inlet cover?

Ecotech Marine

strike2867

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody run their return pump without a cover on the inlet? I'm not too worried about anything getting in there, maybe some micro snails and similar, nothing really worth talking about on a pump doing 1320 gph. I feel my flow is being restricted by the cover and would like to fully open it up. I'd like more flow and less cleaning.

Top Shelf Aquatics

rossco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your return chamber is clean without any sand or rock rubble, go for it. I have run my Eheim 1262 with a 90 degree street elbow facing the bottom on the inlet. This would allow for the return chamber to get within of 1 inch of being empty before it started sucking air. This was back before I installed an ATO. Took away a little stress for long weekends away if I didn’t have a tank sitter.

TheBear78

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody run their return pump without a cover on the inlet? I'm not too worried about anything getting in there, maybe some micro snails and similar, nothing really worth talking about on a pump doing 1320 gph. I feel my flow is being restricted by the cover and would like to fully open it up. I'd like more flow and less cleaning.
You could always take it off and see if the drain valve (assuming you're running one) needs adjusting. If not then you're not really gaining anything. I can't say I've ever had to clean mine.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back