+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Per my welcome post, here is my Red Sea E170 build thread.

Tank parts list:
Red Sea E170 AIO and I'm using everything included except the skimmer
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
Trigger System Sapphire 5g Reservoir
BRS 200w Heater with Helio Controller
VorTech Mp10 with Vortech Battery Backup

Saltwater mixing station parts list:
BRS 5 stage RO/DI
RO Float valve
EZ Angle stop adapter
Two 10g Norwesco water tanks
Jebao DCP-5000 Pump
Eheim 100w Heater
Way to much PVC and PVC parts that I need to itemize that totaled up to SEVEN trips to Home Depot to purchase.

First off, my first E170 was delivered completely destroyed so I had to wait for my replacement tank to be delivered. Thanks to Red Sea for pushing that through asap during the crazy holiday rush. Also, thanks to BRS for making a decent video on how to put it together because that instruction manual was worse than an Ikea manual.

Secondly, no one really goes into how absolutely annoying putting together a saltwater mixing station is. It took 2 days of me and my FIL on our hands and knees cutting and gluing PVC and somehow not ****** it up with all the precise measurements we had to make. There was even a tense moment where we realized halfway through that we never measured how far the pump needs to be from the designated saltwater mixing tank and somehow we lucked out that the row of valves was already in the right place for it all to fit together somehow. Also, I still haven't figured out why my float valve doesn't turn off the RO/DI filter properly and still spits out waste water. That was trip number 7 to Home Depot to find an inline shut off valve for the incoming water line because I was about to tear my hair out after unseating and reseating every tube in that filter multiple times.

Thirdly, all that headache was worth it as I watch my tank cycle in my living room. I discovered a lot of people in my social sphere either had a freshwater or a saltwater tank long ago and my constant updates have them considering getting back into the hobby. I'm like a fish keeping virus!

Stuff inside the tank:

Fiji Rock from FB Marketplace from a former reefer who moved onto Koi ponds
CaribSea Arag Alive Fiji pink sand
Live Reef Rubble from Aquabiomics
AlgaeBarn Ultimate Cycle Kit

My aquascape:

PXL_20230205_222014330.MP.jpg

My saltwater mixing station:

Yes the Norwesco tanks are sitting on a piece of floor tile as the Jebao was too tall and we had to lift the tanks just enough to bring everything level. I always hated that pointless counter in the downstairs bathroom but now it has a purpose.

PXL_20230117_001836079.jpg

It sure has been a journey and I haven't even purchased my first fish yet!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Per my welcome post, here is my Red Sea E170 build thread.

Tank parts list:
Red Sea E170 AIO and I'm using everything included except the skimmer
Tunze Osmolator 3155 ATO
Trigger System Sapphire 5g Reservoir
BRS 200w Heater with Helio Controller
VorTech Mp10 with Vortech Battery Backup

Saltwater mixing station parts list:
BRS 5 stage RO/DI
RO Float valve
EZ Angle stop adapter
Two 10g Norwesco water tanks
Jebao DCP-5000 Pump
Eheim 100w Heater
Way to much PVC and PVC parts that I need to itemize that totaled up to SEVEN trips to Home Depot to purchase.

First off, my first E170 was delivered completely destroyed so I had to wait for my replacement tank to be delivered. Thanks to Red Sea for pushing that through asap during the crazy holiday rush. Also, thanks to BRS for making a decent video on how to put it together because that instruction manual was worse than an Ikea manual.

Secondly, no one really goes into how absolutely annoying putting together a saltwater mixing station is. It took 2 days of me and my FIL on our hands and knees cutting and gluing PVC and somehow not ****** it up with all the precise measurements we had to make. There was even a tense moment where we realized halfway through that we never measured how far the pump needs to be from the designated saltwater mixing tank and somehow we lucked out that the row of valves was already in the right place for it all to fit together somehow. Also, I still haven't figured out why my float valve doesn't turn off the RO/DI filter properly and still spits out waste water. That was trip number 7 to Home Depot to find an inline shut off valve for the incoming water line because I was about to tear my hair out after unseating and reseating every tube in that filter multiple times.

Thirdly, all that headache was worth it as I watch my tank cycle in my living room. I discovered a lot of people in my social sphere either had a freshwater or a saltwater tank long ago and my constant updates have them considering getting back into the hobby. I'm like a fish keeping virus!

Stuff inside the tank:

Fiji Rock from FB Marketplace from a former reefer who moved onto Koi ponds
CaribSea Arag Alive Fiji pink sand
Live Reef Rubble from Aquabiomics
AlgaeBarn Ultimate Cycle Kit

My aquascape:

View attachment 3007929

My saltwater mixing station:

Yes the Norwesco tanks are sitting on a piece of floor tile as the Jebao was too tall and we had to lift the tanks just enough to bring everything level. I always hated that pointless counter in the downstairs bathroom but now it has a purpose.

View attachment 3007932

It sure has been a journey and I haven't even purchased my first fish yet!
Love the aquascape design!!!

OP
OP
R

Rozlyn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the aquascape design!!!
Thank you! Here are the side views. It's kind of hard to see all the little holes that the fish can swim through since all the beige on beige blends in.

PXL_20230206_195829034.MP.jpgPXL_20230206_195708567.jpg

This was my first iteration and I'm glad I didn't stick with it. There were less hidey holes to dart through and limited cave opportunities under the base rocks.

PXL_20221211_221512075.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

Rozlyn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update!

Current stock:

3 Astraea snails (the Rockettes)
1 Trochus snail (Honorary Rockette)
1 Cerith snail (Escargot)
1 Feather duster (FiFi)
1Fire Shrimp (Chakra)
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp (Tonka)
1 Yellow Watchman Goby (Gregoire)
2 Banggai Cardinals (Zebra herd)

The deceased, may they rest in peace:
1 Firefish

Today's tank picture. As you can see I am recovering from the ugly stage and there is still some small amount of visible diatoms here and there.

PXL_20230320_202430275.MP.jpg

It's been going pretty well. My only loss so far has been the Firefish who appeared to be a happy little fish who ate a ton and was out and about a lot. The next day however, he had stuffed himself into a small hole in the rock work and was just hanging halfway out from this little hole limply. It was a bit traumatizing having to tug his little tail surprisingly hard to pull the body out.

Chakra the Fire Shrimp has molted three times already and I assume Tonka has at least once as he's gotten fairly big already.

I can't wait until spring so I can pick up some more macroalgae because so far its fairly empty with just some Gracilaria in there. Now that the diatoms seem to be in remission, I can look into getting a Gorgonian or two also.

I don't know what fish I want next. I know I eventually want a Mandarin but it's WAY to soon for that. Everyone's stories of their clownfish biting them has turned me off on the idea of a clownfish so I'm a bit at a loss. The husband wants a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp but that doesn't solve my fish conundrum. Any suggestions knowing my stock list?

scottkoji

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update!

Current stock:

3 Astraea snails (the Rockettes)
1 Trochus snail (Honorary Rockette)
1 Cerith snail (Escargot)
1 Feather duster (FiFi)
1Fire Shrimp (Chakra)
1 Tiger Pistol Shrimp (Tonka)
1 Yellow Watchman Goby (Gregoire)
2 Banggai Cardinals (Zebra herd)

The deceased, may they rest in peace:
1 Firefish

Today's tank picture. As you can see I am recovering from the ugly stage and there is still some small amount of visible diatoms here and there.

View attachment 3073673

It's been going pretty well. My only loss so far has been the Firefish who appeared to be a happy little fish who ate a ton and was out and about a lot. The next day however, he had stuffed himself into a small hole in the rock work and was just hanging halfway out from this little hole limply. It was a bit traumatizing having to tug his little tail surprisingly hard to pull the body out.

Chakra the Fire Shrimp has molted three times already and I assume Tonka has at least once as he's gotten fairly big already.

I can't wait until spring so I can pick up some more macroalgae because so far its fairly empty with just some Gracilaria in there. Now that the diatoms seem to be in remission, I can look into getting a Gorgonian or two also.

I don't know what fish I want next. I know I eventually want a Mandarin but it's WAY to soon for that. Everyone's stories of their clownfish biting them has turned me off on the idea of a clownfish so I'm a bit at a loss. The husband wants a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp but that doesn't solve my fish conundrum. Any suggestions knowing my stock list?
Looks great!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
R

Rozlyn

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has so much color now!

PXL_20230422_015726362.jpg

I keep going back and forth if I have cyano or not on my rocks but it just won't come off with a stiff toothbrush scrub and it never displays on the sand. The spots I can't get to with a toothbrush up near all my macro have been turning a traditional purple sooo coralline I guess? The snails have been scraping it off when they slurp through during their nighttime munchies so it hasn't been taking over either way.

My first feather duster did pass away due to some unfortunate tunnel digging by my pistol shrimp. The tube was in the way and he decided the only way to get where he wanted to go was right through the middle of the tube. My other coco worm is as far from the shrimp's territory as possible so he should be safe.

Now to learn how to culture copepods so I can get that mandarin goby.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Gluemasters - your best choice for CA super glue
Back