Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had an issue that is requiring me to get a new pump for one of my closed loops. The Abyzz A100 I was running started leaking (again) around the volute seal. I dislike how it is designed, as the o-ring sits on a very small ledge that is easily dislodged/pinched when the volute is attached to the motor block. For that reason, I've decided to replace the pump with a Royal Exclusiv pump (my other closed loop is an rd3 80w). Perhaps I'll use the Abyzz on another project that allows it to be submerged, when that seal won't matter so much.

My question is, does anyone have experience with the rd5? Comparing the 130w rd5 to the 100w rd3, the flowrate is similar, but the rd5 is cheaper. I saw @slief state in another thread that the rd5 is a dc pump, while the rd3 is a VFD. Aside from one being dc and the other not, is there a significant reliability difference? Anyone have one or both and can comment on the differences?

AS

ReefCheef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own models of both for various things in my Dreambox. All have worked well at their task so far. What I will say, is that there is a noticeable difference in build quality between the RD3 and RD5 pumps. The RD5s are better than any American made pump by far, but the RD3 pumps are world class. Abyzz just copied them and put an orange cord on it (literally) for an extra $1,000. You can tell the difference immediately in person, but like I said, I've had good experiences with both so far.

OP
OP
C

charlesP77

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own models of both for various things in my Dreambox. All have worked well at their task so far. What I will say, is that there is a noticeable difference in build quality between the RD3 and RD5 pumps. The RD5s are better than any American made pump by far, but the RD3 pumps are world class. Abyzz just copied them and put an orange cord on it (literally) for an extra $1,000. You can tell the difference immediately in person, but like I said, I've had good experiences with both so far.
Thanks for the response. For the price difference, I'll probably stick with the RD3. I already have one on the other closed loop that has been amazing, and I was able to find a deal on a 100W RD3.

I'm curious about the Abyzz statement. I can say that the RD3 has always been quieter than the Abyzz A100, which was surprising. I'd gotten both the RD3 and the A100 used for good prices, and was really surprised to find the RD3 was less hassle and ran quieter. There's definitely some similarity between the 2, but I never really put them side by side to compare. The RD3 is bigger, and I definitely like the plumbing better than the A100.

I've been considering getting an Abyzz A400 eventually to replace my return pump (reeflo hammerhead gold) to get my fish room a bit quieter, but the price has that a long way away. If Royal Exclusiv had something that could handle the head (about 24') and still give me 1500 gph, I'd grab one.

Top Shelf Aquatics
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Big Sale !! UP To 50% OFF !! On Fish Antibiotics
Back