Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thinking about getting a rose bubble tip anemone for my tank, but my nitrates are 50pm and phosphate 0.5. I know that BTA are the more hardy anemones but would they be ok, I have lps, green star, and mushroom coral in the same tank and they all seem fine. Should I go for it?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thinking about getting a rose bubble tip anemone for my tank, but my nitrates are 50pm and phosphate 0.5. I know that BTA are the more hardy anemones but would they be ok, I have lps, green star, and mushroom coral in the same tank and they all seem fine. Should I go for it?
I have rainbow BTAs in a high nutrient tank. My phosphates are also about .5 ppm and my nitrates are between 25 - 35 ppm. My nems do great so maybe just get your nitrates down a little.

Top Shelf Aquatics

sczlars

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my rbta's in a high nitrate tank, and they multiplied like weeds. See my build thread and what it looked like 3 years ago. Easily over 50ppm, and high phosphates too at the time. This is a mature tank though. Also, I'm not sure how the nem would do if transferred from a low nutrient tank into an extreme high nutrient tank. For me, this buildup happened over years.

OP
OP
Porcupine Reefer

Porcupine Reefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience - nems are not for beginner tanks.. they prefer a more established/mature tank.
My tank has been established for 3 years now, the nitrates/phosphate have been high for awhile.

AS

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in nitrates around 40 and they did well. You mention corals so make sure the tank is big enough and you are willing to deal with it if it doesn't want to stay where you want it. I have 8 or so on a center island in a 180 gallon and every once in a while one will stray so it gets placed in the home for misfits, a 40g breeder in the basement shown below. 20230225_195826.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in nitrates around 40 and they did well. You mention corals so make sure the tank is big enough and you are willing to deal with it if it doesn't want to stay where you want it. I have 8 or so on a center island in a 180 gallon and every once in a while one will stray so it gets placed in the home for misfits, a 40g breeder in the basement shown below. View attachment 3039136
It's the same with mine. I have a plating coral skeleton that I placed mine on. That skeleton has a fairly tall stem but on occasion a nem will wander off it and then I relocate it to the 30 gallon sump tank in our basement, LOL!

Borat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been established for 3 years now, the nitrates/phosphate have been high for awhile.
Understood. I added my first GBTA after having had the tank for ~1 year - it didn't like the environment and slowly died off.. The second one was added when tank was 3 years old, this was faired much better - although it is showing its happiness / colours only now (4 yrs old tank).

When I got my second GBTA - it started to slowly shrink n size - until I realised it simply does not have enough food.. In tanks with low nitrates like mine (I have to dose nitrates - and they are still very low <5ppm) anemones need to be fed infrequently, I feed my 2 nems quarter of a shrimp every 10 days or so..
IMG-3691.jpg

bvanfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in nitrates around 40 and they did well. You mention corals so make sure the tank is big enough and you are willing to deal with it if it doesn't want to stay where you want it. I have 8 or so on a center island in a 180 gallon and every once in a while one will stray so it gets placed in the home for misfits, a 40g breeder in the basement shown below. View attachment 3039136
What types are these ? Do they not fight each other?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Borat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally nems don't sting each other. They don't sting soft corals either (especially the likes of zoas or mushrooms).. They would sting stony corals, e.g. SPS.

bvanfish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally nems don't sting each other. They don't sting soft corals either (especially the likes of zoas or mushrooms).. They would sting stony corals, e.g. SPS.
I mean more chemical warfare. I’ve heard not to mix but see many people do it

Borat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean more chemical warfare. I’ve heard not to mix but see many people do it
I might be wrong - but even though nems are distantly related to soft corals - I think they are much closer to say snails and the likes than corals.. So shouldn't have the chemical warfare issues.

Nutramar Foods

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all bubble tips. Most are clones from splits through years. The red I bought a few years ago and it only split once. Go figure the nicest one refuses to split. But no I have never seen any indications of fighting. Unless the ones that start moving around are bring bothered but I always figured they move because they are getting cramped. That is just my guess tho, no facts to back it up.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back