Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building an entirely new reef system after a few years away. Now that we own our home, I'm going all in and ordered a custom 5' tank to build into our kitchen. 60x27x24. 170g by SCA.

So, as I am refreshing my knowledge, I am coming across some new and undeniable technology to add to the build.

I have the most questions around roller mat options. I will be running a RS Shadow overflow with a bean animal as well as have a dedicated fish room in the basement right below the tank. All plumbing and filtration will be downstairs.

Theiling Rollermat - Proven but concerns. Does a bean animal work with this? I hear of rust issues, heat caused by the motor -> condensation, and the gears wear out. For $400, these issues should not exist.

Clarisea - Improved version and looks to be geared towards the DIY as it just hangs on the sump. Again, how to incorporate with a BA overflow as it looks like it has only one line in? It doesn't look clear as to where to put it and at what water level...

Klir - This one impresses me the most but the design in 100% new and no one even has one running yet. It fits right in the sock holder or has an adapter assembly for DIY sumps and mentions BA overflows. I would probably go with the adapter or buy a sump that would be appropriate for this setup. I'm honestly waiting for the Youtube video reviews to start rolling in on this one.

Is there anyone else making these yet?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
D

diwit

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building an entirely new reef system after a few years away. Now that we own our home, I'm going all in and ordered a custom 5' tank to build into our kitchen. 60x27x24. 170g by SCA.

So, as I am refreshing my knowledge, I am coming across some new and undeniable technology to add to the build.

I have the most questions around roller mat options. I will be running a RS Shadow overflow with a bean animal as well as have a dedicated fish room in the basement right below the tank. All plumbing and filtration will be downstairs.

Theiling Rollermat - Proven but concerns. Does a bean animal work with this? I hear of rust issues, heat caused by the motor -> condensation, and the gears wear out link. For $400, these issues should not exist.

Clarisea - Improved version and looks to be geared towards the DIY as it just hangs on the sump. Again, how to incorporate with a BA overflow as it looks like it has only one line in? It doesn't look clear as to where to put it and at what water level...

Klir - This one impresses me the most but the design in 100% new and no one even has one running yet. It fits right in the sock holder or has an adapter assembly for DIY sumps and mentions BA overflows. I would probably go with the adapter or buy a sump that would be appropriate for this setup. I'm honestly waiting for the Youtube video reviews to start rolling in on this one.

Is there anyone else making these yet?
thanks in advance for any help

BRS
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On what size tank and how long does your roll last
On a Reefer250 it last me one month per 93' roll. I feed an entire cube of frozen food per fish per day.
It is worth noting the app allows for custom roll lengths with no max limit, so in theory if someone made a 4.4" or whatever width roll that was longer it could be swapped out and any length added. However I am not sure that would happen unless a 3rd party decided to do so.

mrpontiac80

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just recently set up a tank with my first sump and am using a clarisea sk500 gen 2. Again I’m new to sumps, but I’m using a bean animal overflow also. I took the main drain into the clarisea and ran the secondary beside it. Since very little water comes through it, I’m not worried about it right now, but I’ll probably add a hang on filtersock just for that drain.

As for water depth, I wondered about that too but you can set it as deep as the overflow or much less. The water fills up inside the unit as it is filtered through the mat. I’m only 2 or 3 weeks using it but I really like it.

I will admit though, this clarisea came brand new with a tank tear down that I purchased… if I was to buy all the gear I would have went with the Red Sea roller mat just because I feel like maintenance would be easier. But I have nothing to base that off of other than marketing
C105B929-8221-4AD8-8826-FF8FE6B2DB72.jpeg
5481F487-1640-48C7-9C98-EE2F9568D941.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

kbnh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On what size tank and how long does a roll last
120 gal display 40 gal sump mixed reef with currently 7 small to medium fish, feed frozen or pellets daily with nori every few days, my average is up to 18” a day though I did recently increase the flow, I was getting 12” a day before the increase, so I’d say 45-60 days

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Hanna
Back