Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added water to my new tank last weekend and this happened. I changed the DI filter beforehand and backwashed the RO chambers a few times during the process, but I did not swap out the two carbon filters or the initial mechanical filtration. I should have my head examined, I don't know why I didn't.

I think I've only generated maybe 150 gallons of water with the RODI unit since I got it, I assumed the canisters would last longer than that. I checked TDS several times during the process and it always read zero.

Of course, I'm hoping that I can just filter it out once I have the system running, but naturally, the hose for the Reefmat is tricking water so now I have to replace / fix that before I can turn on the pumps.

Any idea what this is? The particles were initially very small but have congealed to one another. Some in suspension, other on the floor. I have hard well water but have not experienced this before when generating water for soaking the rockwork.

Rodi issue.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
World Wide Corals
OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Particles cannot get through the RO membrane.

This is DI water with no salt added?
No, this has salt. Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I was making it in batches in 20 gal Brute cans, heating and mixing in the salt with a pump, making sure each can was 1.026-ish before pumping into tank.

But I thought the same thing, how could this possibly get through 4 chambers and dual RO canisters? I'm using a BRS 150gpd setup which does not have much mileage on it.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, this has salt. Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. I was making it in batches in 20 gal Brute cans, heating and mixing in the salt with a pump, making sure each can was 1.026-ish before pumping into tank.

But I thought the same thing, how could this possibly get through 4 chambers and dual RO canisters? I'm using a BRS 150gpd setup which does not have much mileage on it.

It is likely precipitation of calcium carbonate. Raw salt water with high alk mixes is very prone to such precipitation.

OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely precipitation of calcium carbonate. Raw salt water with high alk mixes is very prone to such precipitation.
Assuming I can simply filter this out once my pump is running, what should I know about either calcium carbonate (good/bad?) or high alkalinity? If you could get me pointed in the right direction I'd appreciate it. And thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Mperry622

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always run my fresh mixed salt water through some sort of filter for this very reason... I noticed i get it more if i dump too much salt in at once. try mixing in slower if that's the case

Shirak

Valuable Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming I can simply filter this out once my pump is running, what should I know about either calcium carbonate (good/bad?) or high alkalinity? If you could get me pointed in the right direction I'd appreciate it. And thanks!
Why are you worried about it? You said you were adding rock soon which is just more calcium carbonate..
Many of the reef salt mixes precipitate a little from the higher alk and calcium levels. Seems to happen less for me when I just use room temperature water.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
jmatt

jmatt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run my fresh mixed salt water through some sort of filter for this very reason... I noticed i get it more if i dump too much salt in at once. try mixing in slower if that's the case
Well, I was making it 18 gallons at a time (in a 20 gal Brute), heating the water to 78 and adding salt with a pump stirring it until there was none left on the floor of the Brute can. Then I measured and tweaked salt until I got it to 1.026 with a Tropic Marin hydrometer. And it took me several days... so I don't think speed was the issue.

But just out of curiosity, what kind of post RODI filter? Activated carbon?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was making it 18 gallons at a time (in a 20 gal Brute), heating the water to 78 and adding salt with a pump stirring it until there was none left on the floor of the Brute can. Then I measured and tweaked salt until I got it to 1.026 with a Tropic Marin hydrometer. And it took me several days... so I don't think speed was the issue.

But just out of curiosity, what kind of post RODI filter? Activated carbon?

A sediment filter for the mixed salt water

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FnR
Back