Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI system is 15 ft from my sump. Rather than buying an ATO reservoir, and an ATO device (pump and switch) I'm thinking about adding a second float switch directly in the return section of the sump (one float is already installed in a large brewing vat). Other than a good deal of turbulence in the sump (pumping 2500 gph) does anyone see any issues? Have others done this with success? Could save myself $400 if it works well, also consumes less space and less stuff to deal with.

AquaCave Logo Banner

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI system is 15 ft from my sump. Rather than buying an ATO reservoir, and an ATO device (pump and switch) I'm thinking about adding a second float switch directly in the return section of the sump (one float is already installed in a large brewing vat). Other than a good deal of turbulence in the sump (pumping 2500 gph) does anyone see any issues? Have others done this with success? Could save myself $400 if it works well, also consumes less space and less stuff to deal with.
I'm not sure I understand your question.
Are you wondering if it's a good idea to connect your ro/di unit directly to your system?
I wouldn't. Float switches can fail.
My ro/di topoff is a 20 gallon brute container and a JBJ ATO that is about 12' from my tank.
I use a max-jet 1200 to pump the water from the topoff container to the sump. All total under $100.
If for some reason the top off float valve at the sump fails and sticks on, only 20 gallons ( if it's completely full at the time) of freshwater goes into the system.

Top Shelf Aquatics

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will cause the rodi system to kick on and off for breif periods as It's only adding enough water to raise the float switch to the closed position. I have read this is bad for RO membranes but this is what I have read and didn't retain details. I did try to this once and didnt continue to do to the above reasons. I have a booster pump and it was short cycling and I just figured it couldn't be good for the pump but thats JMO no facts behind it.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There can be a lot of tds creep getting into your system when short cycling a rodi unit, like using a float to intermittently add water to a sump. People do it, but it’s usually a better practice to fill a larger vessel with rodi and then connect an ato to that to feed the tank. Making a larger quantity than a cup or two at a time allows the membrane to flush a bit more and dilutes the high tds start

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
B

BigMax

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the input!

TDS creep and problems with short cycling is not something I considered. It's great do throw a question out there and get input from the forum (you all). I'll do it the 'right way' after the feedback.....thanks

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have an ato resivor with the float switch, I agree with the potential dangers of a float valve in saltwater in the sump because at some point it will fail and get covered in crud.

I think its a cool idea hooking up the r.o directly to a resivor and have it automated for refill, I know some people are doing it with success, but like others said I worry about water quality and filter degradation.

I like to manually produce r.o water its a step by step process for me but I guarantee my work and the quality of my filters this way.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back