Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have a 16 gallon tank that is in the process of being upgraded to a 55 that is a rock nem garden. Currently only has 2 maroon clowns a bunch of rock nems and the usual cleaning crew? We are thinking about adding a dwarf lion as the sole fish inhabitant but I can’t seem to find any compatibility info on the lion and the rock nems. I know he will eventually be big enough to turn the maroons into a midnight snack but I am planning on re locating them to alternative housing. Will a lion be ok with the rock nems or should we seek other inhabitants.

AquaCave Logo Banner

MERKEY

Cronies
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lions will perch and most likely end up on one of the rock nems.

So depending on size I would say there is always a chance with nems and perching fish.

Others with experience with the 2 may be able to give more advice.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have a 16 gallon tank that is in the process of being upgraded to a 55 that is a rock nem garden. Currently only has 2 maroon clowns a bunch of rock nems and the usual cleaning crew? We are thinking about adding a dwarf lion as the sole fish inhabitant but I can’t seem to find any compatibility info on the lion and the rock nems. I know he will eventually be big enough to turn the maroons into a midnight snack but I am planning on re locating them to alternative housing. Will a lion be ok with the rock nems or should we seek other inhabitants.
RFA’s don’t get that big and are unlikely to eat a full grown fish that’s thriving - Often the fish will avoid the anemone unless it’s unfortunately passing (I witnessed my Mini Maxi trying to eat my Angel when he was on deaths door but he failed).
Fish are aware of that may eat them and what may not, it’s unlikely your lion will perch on an anemone for fun.

OP
OP
ATC

ATC

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RFA’s don’t get that big and are unlikely to eat a full grown fish that’s thriving - Often the fish will avoid the anemone unless it’s unfortunately passing (I witnessed my Mini Maxi trying to eat my Angel when he was on deaths door but he failed).
Fish are aware of that may eat them and what may not, it’s unlikely your lion will perch on an anemone for fun.
So it seems my concerns were misplaced. I was concerned with the lion messing with the RFA’S not the other way around my brain never registered that the nems may eat the lion. As of right now the biggest RFA in there is about 6” around. But its mouth is only the size of a half dollar. We spot feed them a couple times a week so they are well fed. Seems like it might be worth a shot I think that it will make for an interesting tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they would cause issue, and yes the concern would be for the lion, the lion will show absolutely no interest in the nems. Lions would not usually perch on corals, but you would provide them plenty of vertical areas to perch and a cave. A really tiny lion could possibly get stung and eaten by a large nem, but it would be a rare event. A larger lion would have no concern.

OP
OP
ATC

ATC

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they would cause issue, and yes the concern would be for the lion, the lion will show absolutely no interest in the nems. Lions would not usually perch on corals, but you would provide them plenty of vertical areas to perch and a cave. A really tiny lion could possibly get stung and eaten by a large nem, but it would be a rare event. A larger lion would have no concern

I would design the scape to suit the lion since RFAS are going to locate themselves anywhere they want anyway. I would like a larger lion like a volitan but at 55 gallons the tank is too small so I figured either a fuzzy or zebra would be the perfect size.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back