Ro water

Make your own drinking water

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Homelander

I'm Homelander, I can do whatever I want.
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who here disconnects their di and makes drinking water with the first filters? Does the waste waster outweigh the convenience ?
I don't only because I don't want to have to replace my ro membranes and prefilters from using it so much. The water where I live isn't that bad, plus we have a brita pitcher with a built in filter :)

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the Washington Post, producing bottled water emits 32 times the amount of CO2 that processing tap water does. So even if we assume you send 4 gallons of waste water down the drain for every gallon of product water that you make, bottled water still produces 6 times as much CO2. This doesn't take into account the carbon produced by making your prefilters and membrane and shipping them to you, which are hard to calculate. But even if we assume that reduces CO2 efficiency by a factor of one, you're still five times ahead if you filter your own water (from a CO2 perspective).

In terms of dollars spent, I would be surprised if bottled water was cleaner or cheaper than water made with your RO/DI system.

OP
OP
BangedUp

BangedUp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't only because I don't want to have to replace my ro membranes and prefilters from using it so much. The water where I live isn't that bad, plus we have a brita pitcher with a built in filter :)
I have a Britta filter also but that carbon is expensive and I would like to make about 5 gallons at a time

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back