RO//DI Stages

AUSXMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have been in and out of the hobby for 25 years. I have a new Waterbox Infinia 230.6. I'm using an old 5 stage ro/di that has fairly new cartridges (resin, etc.) But the TDS meter is broken. It just needs replaced. New systems are on sale this weekend and I see 5, 7 and even 9 stage systems. I'm wondering what's the advantage if the end result is 0 tds on all of them? I don't care too much about how many gallons per day it can produce - 75 a day would be fine. What does the 9 stage do that the 5 stage can't? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are starting from the premise that zero tds is an absolute zero, it isn’t, buy a slightly better tds meter and they go as low as 0.01, and even that is not zero.

Lasts longer, some people hate seeing silicates in their rodi water but it is fine to average to low lvls. Reduced po4 and other elements people think need it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AUSXMD

AUSXMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are starting from the premise that zero tds is an absolute zero and high it isn’t, buy a slightly better tds meter and they go as low as 0.01, and even that is not zero.

Lasts longer, some people hate seeing silicates in their rodi water but it is fine and average to low lvls. Reduced po4 and other elements people think need it.
Ahhh. Ok. That was something I did not know. Thank you!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh. Ok. That was something I did not know. Thank you!
Sorry was rushing when I previously replied.

All contaminates also don’t show up as TDS, chlorine for example doesn’t show up as TDS, so some run multiple carbon to insure it’s removed.

If your tap TDS is on the low side say under 400, I would start with a 4 stage, sediment, carbon, membrane and resin then if you feel you need it, it’s just a case of buying a couple of canisters and adding to your system, it’s literally pushing a tube from your old system into the extra canisters, that easy.

OP
OP
AUSXMD

AUSXMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry was rushing when I previously replied.

All contaminates also don’t show up as TDS, chlorine for example doesn’t show up as TDS, so some run multiple carbon to insure it’s removed.

If your tap TDS is on the low side say under 400, I would start with a 4 stage, sediment, carbon, membrane and resin then if you feel you need it, it’s just a case of buying a couple of canisters and adding to your system, it’s literally pushing a tube from your old system into the extra canisters, that easy.
No worries! Appreciate the help. I left the hobby for a few years, maybe 5 or so, and so much has improved. Thanks again!

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all just Sediment-Carbon-Membrane-DI. Just expand what you need to based on your water.
This is the way.

Consider Sediment->carbon->RO->DI your default configuration. Add additional stages (filters) only if you need to. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "more filters is better."

OP
OP
AUSXMD

AUSXMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the way.

Consider Sediment->carbon->RO->DI your default configuration. Add additional stages (filters) only if you need to. Don't fall into the trap of thinking "more filters is better."
Thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking. I tend to have a "more is better" mentality that has actually gotten me in trouble in this hobby I ordered a new 5 stage unit and can add on if necessary.

phan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. That's exactly what I was thinking. I tend to have a "more is better" mentality that has actually gotten me in trouble in this hobby I ordered a new 5 stage unit and can add on if necessary.
Thanks for your insight! I can definitely relate to the "more is better" approach—I've had my share of experiences with that too. I made a similar mistake and ended up with a unit from Max Water https://www.maxwaterflow.com/Max-Wa...verse-Osmosis-System-RODI-ZERO-PPM_p_396.html It’s been working perfectly for me, so I can vouch for its effectiveness. Sometimes, starting with a high-quality system and adding on if needed is the best route. Hope the 5-stage unit works great for you!

OP
OP
AUSXMD

AUSXMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a nice system and a really nice price. I had new replacement cartridges so I have used those. I think I'll get the whole new system this week - I just hate not being able to see tds output. That part on mine is broken. Might have to pick up the one you did. Appreciate your feedback and the link!
Thanks for your insight! I can definitely relate to the "more is better" approach—I've had my share of experiences with that too. I made a similar mistake and ended up with a unit from Max Water https://www.maxwaterflow.com/Max-Wa...verse-Osmosis-System-RODI-ZERO-PPM_p_396.html It’s been working perfectly for me, so I can vouch for its effectiveness. Sometimes, starting with a high-quality system and adding on if needed is the best route. Hope the 5-stage unit works great for you!

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid that system.
  • GAC prefilter - it won't do any harm but you can do much better with a carbon block
  • No name (which usually means chinese) membrane. Stick with Filmtec in this gpd range
  • Horizontal DI - a fundamental configuration mistake
  • Technically wrong info on their website re mixed bed resin.

OP
OP
AUSXMD

AUSXMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid that system.
  • GAC prefilter - it won't do any harm but you can do much better with a carbon block
  • No name (which usually means chinese) membrane. Stick with Filmtec in this gpd range
  • Horizontal DI - a fundamental configuration mistake
  • Technically wrong info on their website re mixed bed resin.
Thank you! Was just checking BRS, so have not ordered one yet. I appreciate you taking the time!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back