RO/DI on Well Water Diatom Outbreak

BUVandy1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

I purchased my first RODI unit a few months ago for my 40 gallon mixed reef. I am on well water in Illinois so I opted for the 5 stage. However, ever since then I have had a crazy diatom outbreak. I have lost a number of corals and the tank (including the surface!) is overrun with diatoms. Has anyone experienced this or had any similar issues? The TDS meter reads 0 on the output. BRS help line has suggested upgrading from a 5 stage to a 7 stage but I don’t want to make that investment unless I can be confident in results. It seems like every water change makes things worse.
Thank you!

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are reading 0 TDS, adding more stages won’t help you. Kind of annoying that’s what BRS told you…they just wanted to sell you another filtration system. Bozos!

Are you sure it is diatoms and not dino? If your water supply had phosphate and/or nitrate in it before you installed the RODI, and then you suddenly had none, that could explain a dino outbreak. Silicates from RODI could explain diatoms, but you would see that on your TDS meter I think.

OP
OP
BUVandy1010

BUVandy1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are reading 0 TDS, adding more stages won’t help you. Kind of annoying that’s what BRS told you…they just wanted to sell you another filtration system. Bozos!

Are you sure it is diatoms and not dino? If your water supply had phosphate and/or nitrate in it before you installed the RODI, and then you suddenly had none, that could explain a dino outbreak. Silicates from RODI could explain diatoms, but you would see that on your TDS meter I think.
I guess I’m not sure which it is (Dino’s/diatoms). I don’t have a microscope or anything. It is brown sludge algae with bubbles in it. What would you do in my shoes? It looks AWFUL haha.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I’m not sure which it is (Dino’s/diatoms). I don’t have a microscope or anything. It is brown sludge algae with bubbles in it. What would you do in my shoes? It looks AWFUL haha.
Sounds like dinos. What is your nitrate and phosphate at? Dinos (dinoflagellates) are a HUGE pain. You have a battle ahead of you. I suggest starting here: Article: Dino Treatment Guide

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a picture of what your seeing and we can probably Tell you whether it’s Diatoms or Dino’s
Yes a picture would be nice. Based on this:
brown sludge algae with bubbles in it
and the introduction of RODI, I’m pretty sure it is dinos, but a pic would confirm.

OP
OP
BUVandy1010

BUVandy1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a picture would be nice. Based on this:

and the introduction of RODI, I’m pretty sure it is dinos, but a pic would confirm.
Thank you all for your help! Here is a pic (I know disgusting)

Attachments

• IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 28

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your help! Here is a pic (I know disgusting)
Ya that looks like mostly green hair algae (GHA) with some dino mixed in. I would focus on the dino first and in the meantime get yourself a pincushion urchin, some trochus snails and/or turbo snails. They will get to work on eating up that GHA.

First step for the dino is to get your nutrients up. Shoot for 0.1 ppm phosphate and 10-20 ppm nitrate. I assume one or both of those is currently zero, but let us know what your testing shows. To raise them, brightwell makes a couple convenient products called NeoNitro and NeoPhos you can use to dose the tank and bring those up if needed. Alternatively you can mix up your own solutions with food grade ammonium chloride (ammonia gets converted to nitrate) and sodium phosphate.

OP
OP
BUVandy1010

BUVandy1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya that looks like mostly green hair algae (GHA) with some dino mixed in. I would focus on the dino first and in the meantime get yourself a pincushion urchin, some trochus snails and/or turbo snails. They will get to work on eating up that GHA.

First step for the dino is to get your nutrients up. Shoot for 0.1 ppm phosphate and 10-20 ppm nitrate. I assume one or both of those is currently zero, but let us know what your testing shows. To raise them, brightwell makes a couple convenient products called NeoNitro and NeoPhos you can use to dose the tank and bring those up if needed. Alternatively you can mix up your own solutions with food grade ammonium chloride (ammonia gets converted to nitrate) and sodium phosphate.
This is really helpful, thank you for the input!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back