Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding mine frozen clams, thawed. At least I thought I was. I recently watched it grab the clam, pull it in, start to close in on it, like it already ingested it, but no. It released it. This might have been happening since 2019 when I got it! It's doing fine, and it's big, about 12" diameter in my 65. I wouldnt mind it growing some, just because I know it's even happier then.
What is the tastiest food for ritteri's? Is Orion here? :-D (nem guru).

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those that feed , are you sure the food is being ingested? I thought mine was, but I saw it was released a few mins later. Here's mine, it goes back and forth along the top on the shadow overflow box. Same as when it was in my last tank. It's been in for only 2 weeks. the acro on the left keeps it from going to far left. The acro dies where touched, but it works overall.

Attachments

• ritteri042923.jpeg
    ritteri042923.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 13

Hot2na

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its releasing the food , may be something wrong with it.. and that unsettled all over the place is another sign something may not be right.. when they are happy , they eat and grab the food -not release..and stay put.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly, I’ve never found it necessary to direct feed any of my mags. Give them flow, enough light, and an appropriate pair of clowns and they’ll do just fine. Direct feeding just means the mag will outgrow your tank more quickly and then you’ll be dealing with the hassle of rehoming. My last ‘starved’ mag grew from 10” to about 30” in five years.

Has always seemed to me that some mags don’t split, so if you’re counting on that to manage size ……

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Selcon and garlic soaked fresh prawn shrimp twice week. My large Mags get a 1/2"x1/4" piece. Smaller mags get a proportional size. They love it! Never had a healthy Mag let go of it.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frankly, I’ve never found it necessary to direct feed any of my mags. Give them flow, enough light, and an appropriate pair of clowns and they’ll do just fine. Direct feeding just means the mag will outgrow your tank more quickly and then you’ll be dealing with the hassle of rehoming. My last ‘starved’ mag grew from 10” to about 30” in five years.

Has always seemed to me that some mags don’t split, so if you’re counting on that to manage size ……
Thanks for that.. i cant let mine grow toooo much as I now have a 65 gallon, down from my 110 :-D

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its releasing the food , may be something wrong with it.. and that unsettled all over the place is another sign something may not be right.. when they are happy , they eat and grab the food -not release..and stay put.
Maybe mags dont likke frozen (thawed) small clams though.

Last edited:

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Coral Frenzy
Back