+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

I kept a small reef tank in my office for a number of years, but gave it up when I had to move locations almost 20 years ago. The tank was pretty trouble free in the 4 or 5 years I had it, but I wasn’t looking forward to moving it, and had a friend who was chomping at the bit to get into the hobby, so I gave the setup to him. I had issues with a green star polyp that overgrew everything (lesson learned) and had some trouble with bubble algae that I never really did overcome. I don’t remember struggling with much else.

Fast forward 20 years, and I have been itching to get back into it. I started poking around a few weeks ago, and a lot has changed. I’m still wrapping my head around how the initial cycling works now without 100lbs of Fiji rock, but it would seem that is a good change for the planet overall. LEDs have certainly changed things as well.

My interest has always been in invertebrates. Fish were just things I had to keep the tank in balance. I loved the corals and anemones as well as shellfish. I always wanted to keep a clam, but never felt I had the right environment to give one a go. I’d like to work up to one (or more) this time around.

My office is much larger than it was 20 years ago (as are the responsibilities) and I have a couple of options. I could do a 24” cube in a real nice spot. I could also get a 65 or possibly even a 75 in another nice location. However, I could also move out a credenza, and put in a 125 that would be a bit of a dream tank. I’m not sure I really want to invest what it would take to setup the 125, but it’s in play for now.

I live in a small town, but fortunate in that there is a knowledgeable aquarium place. The owner is working up some options for me.

Thanks for the time. I’m sure I’ll have lots of questions…

Nutramar Foods

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

I kept a small reef tank in my office for a number of years, but gave it up when I had to move locations almost 20 years ago. The tank was pretty trouble free in the 4 or 5 years I had it, but I wasn’t looking forward to moving it, and had a friend who was chomping at the bit to get into the hobby, so I gave the setup to him. I had issues with a green star polyp that overgrew everything (lesson learned) and had some trouble with bubble algae that I never really did overcome. I don’t remember struggling with much else.

Fast forward 20 years, and I have been itching to get back into it. I started poking around a few weeks ago, and a lot has changed. I’m still wrapping my head around how the initial cycling works now without 100lbs of Fiji rock, but it would seem that is a good change for the planet overall. LEDs have certainly changed things as well.

My interest has always been in invertebrates. Fish were just things I had to keep the tank in balance. I loved the corals and anemones as well as shellfish. I always wanted to keep a clam, but never felt I had the right environment to give one a go. I’d like to work up to one (or more) this time around.

My office is much larger than it was 20 years ago (as are the responsibilities) and I have a couple of options. I could do a 24” cube in a real nice spot. I could also get a 65 or possibly even a 75 in another nice location. However, I could also move out a credenza, and put in a 125 that would be a bit of a dream tank. I’m not sure I really want to invest what it would take to setup the 125, but it’s in play for now.

I live in a small town, but fortunate in that there is a knowledgeable aquarium place. The owner is working up some options for me.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Things have changed in the hobby in 20 years, mostly for the better.

When I hear "office tank", my first thought is; who will take care of it when you are out of the office?

Jay

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings and welcome back to the addiction! Also, more importantly, welcome to R2R! Like Jay said, a big consideration for maintaining an office tank is just that: the maintenance. Is this something you plan on doing yourself, given your already stated increase in responsibilities? Or, do you plan on hiring a contractor? If the latter, I say, "go big or go home".

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reasonable questions. I'll do the maintenance myself as that is part of the enjoyment. I can easily work the daily stuff into my schedule, and my commute is only 8 minutes so coming on the weekend for larger tasks is easy. I usually end up in the office at some point during the weekend anyway.

I don't travel for work, and have never been out of the office for more than a week. (Even during covid shut-downs) I hadn't considered this a big issue as I don't remember it causing trouble before. There are people around here who would be able to take care of simple things while I am away when necessary. There are a couple of people in town who would do tank service on contract if I needed to go that far.

I spend more hours a week in my office than any other location so this seemed like a natural place to set it up. I'm sure time has "Enhanced" the memories of when I had a tank in my office before, but It wasn't that much of a burden to care for it in this environment. I work at a place that is supportive of this sort of thing, so I won't get any grief for it.

PigDaddyF15E

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the dream tank! You won't regret it. I was worried about the weight and moving a 150 gallon aquarium so I opted for a 100. I love the 100 but regret not getting the 150/170 gallon.

You've got previous experience (I took a 20 year break as well) and the time to take care of it.

Get the "smaller" tank...and you'll always be thinking "What if I had gotten the bigger one"

Last edited:

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Reasonable questions. I'll do the maintenance myself as that is part of the enjoyment. I can easily work the daily stuff into my schedule, and my commute is only 8 minutes so coming on the weekend for larger tasks is easy. I usually end up in the office at some point during the weekend anyway.

I don't travel for work, and have never been out of the office for more than a week. (Even during covid shut-downs) I hadn't considered this a big issue as I don't remember it causing trouble before. There are people around here who would be able to take care of simple things while I am away when necessary. There are a couple of people in town who would do tank service on contract if I needed to go that far.

I spend more hours a week in my office than any other location so this seemed like a natural place to set it up. I'm sure time has "Enhanced" the memories of when I had a tank in my office before, but It wasn't that much of a burden to care for it in this environment. I work at a place that is supportive of this sort of thing, so I won't get any grief for it.
I would absolutely go with the 125 then. Again, like Jay said, a lot has changed in the hobby over the last 20 years, and we're here to help. Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or concerns. Also, be sure to create a build thread, so we can cheer on your progress! Happy reefing!

Namaste.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how much of an issue is this window? One place to put the tank would be where that credenza is. It is just a catch-all for junk anyway, so I'd be better off without it in there.

That is a south facing window. That means it brings in a lot of light in my part of the world. There is a large overhang on the building outside it that blocks direct sun most of the year, but there are a few weeks each year where the sun is at just the right angle to hit my office directly. I have blinds I could close at the worst times, but I wouldn't want to black out the office entirely.

PXL_20230223_164510419.jpg

Alternatively, I could put something on the other end of the office. I've been playing with tape outlines on the floor much to everyone's amusement.

A 75 would fit well in the niche to the right. A 125 would have to go along the angled wall.

PXL_20230223_173923506.jpg

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it were me, I would avoid placing it near the window. The alcove / angled wall would be a better location, IMO. Also, be sure to include these decisions and photos of these outlines in your build thread <hint><hint>!

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure you want to do this?
Welcome to Reef2Reef.

My current fish tank gets morning sunshine and the film algae love it!

I have had tanks much of my life and I’m sold on Acrylic, especially for bigger tanks. The weight issue and the ability to move the tank around if/ when I want to makes me strictly a light weight acrylic tank guy.

The other location issues revolve around water changes and moving around buckets or barrels with ease in your office.

Modern reef flat tanks are shallow with a wide footprint, don’t get a fish tank even if you just want fish, the big wide footprint tanks are better for fish and currents in my opinion, just don’t get a wide tank with a reach across that gets you wet if you need to wipe down the bottom back wall from the wet side of the tank. A peninsula location allows for access in wider tanks.

LEDs are fantastic with lower heating issues from operation. Make certain the lights you have will work for coral, fish, and operational desires. I’m not very tech savvy and a few of the new lights and remote controlled pumps, and other gadgets are a challenge for me, and getting these things sorted out before you start buying them can be very helpful

And so I believe you should start your build thread now to work on the logistics and have all the information and discussion in your own Build Thread,

Welcome to Reef2Reef
Celebrate Happy Birthday GIF by The 1905
:cool:

Edit here is some info on the building thread stuff.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you about the build thread. I do a lot of work in progress threads on other forums for other hobbies. I'll start one here once I get over top dead center on this. Besides, I'll need the feedback as I design the system...

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I'm backpedaling on my tank choice now. Looking closer at the stand the LFS has for the 125, I realized I can't really get a sump in there very easily. Also makes me realize I need to pay up for a better stand, which has put me in a tailspin of looking at options.

Too early for the build thread you guys want me to start? I'm happy to expose the entire decision process to the world, but I don't know the culture here yet, and don't want to be a nuisance.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Manc57

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. We have similar back stories...I was out of the hobby for 25 years. finally bit the bullet and set up something at my office - more space than at home and I only have a 3 mile commute. I went with something in the middle - 70 gallons. Did this partly because I knew I wanted a peaceful mixed reef - heavy on zoas with a low bio load and didn't want to be dosing like a madman. Also, my weekly WC is easy - mix up salt Thursday, change water Saturday morning. Change about 7% a week (5 gal). Have been really surprised at how many things now are way better than before and this place is really great about answering questions when they arise. Good luck? Will be following.

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, I'm backpedaling on my tank choice now. Looking closer at the stand the LFS has for the 125, I realized I can't really get a sump in there very easily. Also makes me realize I need to pay up for a better stand, which has put me in a tailspin of looking at options.

Too early for the build thread you guys want me to start? I'm happy to expose the entire decision process to the world, but I don't know the culture here yet, and don't want to be a nuisance.
Never too early. Have you considered a 180? Only slightly larger footprint and gives you more options.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hello there,

Bigger is better. I see too many get the smaller size to later proceed to want more then kick themselves.
Prolonged maintenance, room for more and more enjoyment

welcome back.jpg

Last edited:
World Wide Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back