Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically I want to get all new rocks and discard the old ones - all at the same time.

I was planning on moving all old rock, fish, corals, inverts to a temporary tank. Then I keep the sand and just clean out any remaining pest algae. Then I put the new rocks into my main tank with the old sand and just let it cycle all over again - adding the corals, fish, inverts back after the cycle is complete. Is this the best way to do this?

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OR, you could put your new rocks in the temporary tank, and put one of your mature rocks into the tank with the new ones, and your new rocks will become cycled (feed a pinch of food).

Then you don't have to remove the fish or corals, just a straight rock swap.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OR, you could put your new rocks in the temporary tank, and put one of your mature rocks into the tank with the new ones, and your new rocks will become cycled (feed a pinch of food).

Then you don't have to remove the fish or corals, just a straight rock swap.
my rocks have a lot of bubble algae on them. is there a way to do it where I can reduce the risk of it spreading to the new ones haha

Top Shelf Aquatics

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my rocks have a lot of bubble algae on them. is there a way to do it where I can reduce the risk of it spreading to the new ones haha
straight rock swap, like I described. Let your rocks cycle for about 2 months, feed the tank, heater and powerhead in the tank, and then in one shot do the rock swap. If you have corals on the rocks, then frag them and glue them to the new rocks.

I did it in January, I had blue clove polyps and aptaisia that I was determined would not get onto my new rocks. I even changed the sand, since aptaisia and polyps can grow on sand, but I'm not sure if bubble algae grows on sand, I don't think so, but double check that one.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
straight rock swap, like I described. Let your rocks cycle for about 2 months, feed the tank, heater and powerhead in the tank, and then in one shot do the rock swap. If you have corals on the rocks, then frag them and glue them to the new rocks.

I did it in January, I had blue clove polyps and aptaisia that I was determined would not get onto my new rocks. I even changed the sand, since aptaisia and polyps can grow on sand, but I'm not sure if bubble algae grows on sand, I don't think so, but double check that one.
That sounds a million times easier than what I was going to do. I have no growth on the sand. Just the rocks with bubble algae and bryopsis. I could probably scrub the bubble algae off the one rock I put in the tank with the new rocks couldn't I? that way there is less change of the bubble algae spreading

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
basically I want to get all new rocks and discard the old ones - all at the same time.

I was planning on moving all old rock, fish, corals, inverts to a temporary tank. Then I keep the sand and just clean out any remaining pest algae. Then I put the new rocks into my main tank with the old sand and just let it cycle all over again - adding the corals, fish, inverts back after the cycle is complete. Is this the best way to do this?
If you're going to go through that much trouble, I'd honestly just replace the sand too. It sounds like you're already committed to a clean-slate cycling.

Last edited:
Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds a million times easier than what I was going to do. I have no growth on the sand. Just the rocks with bubble algae and bryopsis. I could probably scrub the bubble algae off the one rock I put in the tank with the new rocks couldn't I? that way there is less change of the bubble algae spreading
If you can't find a rock at the bottom of the pile with no algae on it, then you can use bottled bacteria to cycle the rocks. Don't take a chance to contaminate your new rocks.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can't find a rock at the bottom of the pile with no algae on it, then you can use bottled bacteria to cycle the rocks. Don't take a chance to contaminate your new rocks.
might have to do that because unfortunately all my rocks are covered in a lottttttt of bubble algae :/

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going to go through that much trouble, I'd honestly just replace the sand too. It sounds like you're already committed to a clean-slate cycling.
If I do my original method I may do that. I'm starting to like the idea of doing a rock cycle in a separate bin or tank so I don't have to disturb my fish and corals by relocating. Is one method better than the other?

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So you did remove all rocks and put all new in after they cycled? Did doing a full rock swap disturb your fish and corals much since you did everything at once?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do my original method I may do that. I'm starting to like the idea of doing a rock cycle in a separate bin or tank so I don't have to disturb my fish and corals by relocating. Is one method better than the other?
You can do either. I do recommend vacuuming the sand during the water removal portion and keeping the sand warm during the entire process to remove detritus and prevent die-off of the critters living in the sand. This is always my main concern during a tank move.

Last edited:
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sand is a part of the cycle as well. Even if you cycle rock separately, you can have an adverse reaction and probable second cycling event if you introduce that newly bacterially propagated rock to nutrient-laden sand. This is why I recommend either moving all at once with lots of sand rinsing during the process or just replacing both rock and sand.
Sorry I don't think I follow. If my sand is already cycled, and I add cycled rock, why would it do another cycle if all components are cycled?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don't think I follow. If my sand is already cycled, and I add cycled rock, why would it do another cycle if all components are cycled?
I corrected that a bit because sometimes that can be an issue mainly resulting from moving things around and letting either rock or sand get too cold, which causes stuff in them to die, which causes an ammonia spike when you add them to a new tank, even with cycled media, which can cause a bacteria bloom. I'm assuming this will be a fast change over because it looks like you don't have a huge tank, where that would be a real concern.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I corrected that a bit because sometimes that can be an issue mainly resulting from moving things around and letting either rock or sand get too cold, which causes stuff in them to die, which causes an ammonia spike when you add them to a new tank, even with cycled media, which can cause a bacteria bloom. I'm assuming this will be a fast change over because it looks like you don't have a huge tank, where that would be a real concern.
Oh I see! I won't be removing water from my main tank. I want to cycle the rocks in a sep bin now. I would keep my rocks, fish, corals, inverts in my main tank until the new rocks are cycled and just swap them without removing much water at all. Would that be okay?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see! I won't be removing water from my main tank. I want to cycle the rocks in a sep bin now. I would keep my rocks, fish, corals, inverts in my main tank until the new rocks are cycled and just swap them without removing much water at all. Would that be okay?
That should be perfectly fine

AS

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about what you are trying to accomplish over the long term. You could easily end up in the same spot months from now, if you just replace the rock with dry rock. You might delay that result longer if you put in dry rock and sand.

If you want to change things in the long term, I would order enough live ocean cultured base rock to replace all the old rock. If you must have white sand on the bottom, just use a little new Special Grade around the new base live rock. Baselive rock is about $13 lb. delivered so it is a bit expensive. It will save you money and stress in the long run.

OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about what you are trying to accomplish over the long term. You could easily end up in the same spot months from now, if you just replace the rock with dry rock. You might delay that result longer if you put in dry rock and sand.

If you want to change things in the long term, I would order enough live ocean cultured base rock to replace all the old rock. If you must have white sand on the bottom, just use a little new Special Grade around the new base live rock. Baselive rock is about $13 lb. delivered so it is a bit expensive. It will save you money and stress in the long run.
I absolutely hate live rock lol. I just have a bunch of bubble algae and a bit of bryopsis brought in on coral that I didn't notice. Now I know what to look for, so I want to replace all the rock. The algae is only on the rocks so I want to cycle new rocks and replace

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely hate live rock lol. I just have a bunch of bubble algae and a bit of bryopsis brought in on coral that I didn't notice. Now I know what to look for, so I want to replace all the rock. The algae is only on the rocks so I want to cycle new rocks and replace
I hear ya. Live rock has its own set of risks. Manage your expectations though. You really can't keep algae and other algae like pests out of the tank. That goes double if you don't remove the sand. If you provide it with brand new surfaces to populate with absolutely no competition, you will be right back where you started in no time. If the tank is small, maybe you could bleach and rinse the old rock so it will be ready to change out when the inevitable happens.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya. Live rock has its own set of risks. Manage your expectations though. You really can't keep algae and other algae like pests out of the tank. That goes double if you don't remove the sand. If you provide it with brand new surfaces to populate with absolutely no competition, you will be right back where you started in no time. If the tank is small, maybe you could bleach and rinse the old rock so it will be ready to change out when the inevitable happens.
I can manage the algae. I just also don't like the rocks I have in general the shapes and how I have them stacked and not glued. I don't mind a little of the algae coming back as I can manage it when it's at smaller stages versus this I think haha. My sand bed is clean thankfully, it's just my rocks

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can manage the algae. I just also don't like the rocks I have in general the shapes and how I have them stacked and not glued. I don't mind a little of the algae coming back as I can manage it when it's at smaller stages versus this I think haha. My sand bed is clean thankfully, it's just my rocks
So put the new replacement rock in new salt water in a tupperware container with a pump to make a decent flow, add bacteria ( I like Frytzeyme) and ammonium chloride to 2 ppm, keep in warm room or put a heater it the container in the dark, and wait until the ammonia level hits 0. Viola... Change out the rock. You can cycle it twice if you want, but it really doesn't make much difference.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquarium Specialty
Back